VMware Cloud Community
Rombus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Delete an iSCSI VMFS Datastore

We are currently in the process of migrating from NFS over to iSCSI and while doing some testing I deleted an ISCSI vmfs datastore using the VIC. When I went to add the datastore back into the esx server it said the volume was blank. If you do this with NFS you can mount the volume again as it does not destroy the volume.

My question is what if you want to remove the datastore because you no longer want it on ESX01 but you still want it on ESX02. The volume will be destroyed and therfore ESX02 will no longer see this volume?

Another question I have is what happens if I have one ESX machine that created the datastore then another ESX machine try to add the same datastore. Will the datastore be shown as blank when trying to create the volume on the second machine?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

So would you do this by removing the IP address of the esx server from the allowed list on the target then re-scan?

Yes, but rescanning works only with iscsi hbas (even here the removing of target could be needed); with software iscsi the disable, kill and enable of initiator is needed(commands on console) - or you reboot your Esx host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

When the volume is shared then you can't simple remove it on Esx01 (if you want to use it on Esx02). You should delete the lun access for the Esx01 and then rescan (and maybe remove target lun) if you use iscsi hba ; on software iscsi you must disable and enable it (your lun access - all iscsi luns will be interrupted for a moment).

Rombus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Christian

Thanks for your response. How do I delete the LUN access for esx01? Do I have to do this through the SAN side or can you delete LUN access in ESX? Also I am using the software iscsi initiator.

Thanks

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You will do it on your storage site!!

Rombus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So would you do this by removing the IP address of the esx server from the allowed list on the target then re-scan?

Thanks

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes, but rescanning works only with iscsi hbas (even here the removing of target could be needed); with software iscsi the disable, kill and enable of initiator is needed(commands on console) - or you reboot your Esx host.

0 Kudos
Rombus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I understand now.

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos