VMware Cloud Community
mp_roma
Contributor
Contributor

Degraded performance after 3.5 upgrade

Goodmorning,

I did the upgrade of version 3.0.2 to 3.5 on my 7 ESX server but there was a strong degraded performance of the virtual machines.

Do you have any suggestion on what I can do or where to look to solve my problem?

Thank you

M.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
williambishop
Expert
Expert

We ran into this ourselves. One vm there was no limitations, yet it ran like molasses. It was a non critical, so we put it off a few days. Forgot about it, came back to it a week later, still slow. Powered off to make some config changes, didn't find any corrections to make, and powered it back on, unchanged. Performance was back to normal.

On the other three or four that did it, we found that the resources tab had modified itself, and the limits were the same as the memory amounts, so that it was cpu and memory starved. We reset the resources and everything was back to normal. So, I'd look first at the resources tab of the ones that are slow and make sure nothing set itself. Barring that, there's a lot of area to cover to find the culprit.

W.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
doubleH
Expert
Expert

i haven't upgraded to 3.5 yet, but I saw this when in upgraded to 2.5u1. when you say you reset the vm resources what exactely did you set it to?

thanks

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Did you go to update 1 or just to 3.5? Using DRS? Might want to check this link out if you are. Supposedly fixed with VC 2.5 update 1 but don't know for sure.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

That's the thing, we never set ours on systems. We set to unlimited....but for some reason, the upgrade saw fit to put it's own figures in, which were the same numbers as the amount of memory assigned to the guest.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
TheVirtualNut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you try upgrading the vmware tools inside the VM after the upgrade?

Cheers

Nuts!

mp_roma
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all!

I solved the problem shutting down/power on the virtual machines and I did also the upgrade of the VMWare tools.

Regards.

M.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

My guess is the change was to clear up a misunderstanding about allocation and limit. A VM will never be allowed to access more than the amount of vRAM allocated to it, so it makes no sense to set the Limit greater than the allocation. The change to having the Allocation == Limit is likely intended to clear up any confusion about how much vRAM a VM can actually use.

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

No, it was literally, showing a limit of say 512 on the cpu. We unchecked them, and they were good again. It's a bug from our point of view(we have a couple thousand guests, this is new behavior post 3.5 upgrade). We now, as policy, double check the resource settings even after migrations.

Clusters, with no DRS settings, are unaffected by this. Upgrades, migrations, etc....on DRS enabled clusters, result in the memory amount being entered into the resource tab, when we set no resources up by default.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos