VMware Cloud Community
rusbli
Contributor
Contributor

Defrag software

Im after some free defrag software for our virtual servers. We are running ESX 3.5, if there is no free software that can be used could anyone recommend an alternative.

Many Thanks for your time.

Russell

0 Kudos
10 Replies
analyst7
Contributor
Contributor

We just create a Scheduled Task to run defrags on our Windows virtual machines. Here's the Syntax for defragmenting the C: drive. Change the drive letter accordingly . Hope this helps.

"C:\WINDOWS\system32\defrag.exe c: -f"

0 Kudos
rusbli
Contributor
Contributor

I am after Defrag software to defrag the .vmdk files ie the virtual machines on the esx server. I have heard that perfectdisk from raxco is good.

0 Kudos
analyst7
Contributor
Contributor

We just bascially let the SAN scrubs and maintenance take care of the LUN's themselves and then defrag the virtual machine from within the guest as mentioned. I've never experienced any issues with fragmentation at the LUN level that I was aware of. I'll have to take a look at the product you mentioned.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
glynnd1
Expert
Expert

My reading of Perfectdisk is that it is Windows defrag utility with a central managment console, their ESX connection is licensing based.

In other words no defragging is occuring outside of the VM to the VMDK file, just internal to the VM to regular files.

So the question really should be,do I need to defrag my VMs and what is a good tool fordoing and managing this?

0 Kudos
rusbli
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks glynnd1 this is what I meant to say. Does anyone know of any ways to do this?

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As above, just schedule a task for defrag.exe to run out of hours.

If you want a "bells and whistles" type program instead, try Diskeeper. Always the one I've used for any Server/PC/VM.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

No matter what anyone says about these products, they are HUGE performance gains. The problem is they are "shadow" ware software, you never see them, they are hidden from view and they just do their job.

It's an extremely hard thing to tell to execs because they don't "see" the benefit of having them. The reason you don't feel the impact is because over time the machines get slower (it takes several months to a year). But take a new machine and run a disk intensive, file activity monger and then do the same thing on a fragmented disk. Now defrag that other machine and run the test again.

I guarantee 40-50% increase in performance (that may be quite aggressive, but it's very noticeable).

Now of the products, there is only one that does the job. DiskKeeper is by FAR The leading product in defrag. There is special tools for Windows, that's it. Raxco makes a nice neat interface for VM Ware, but Diskkeeper has their own central management of defrag from another console, so you don't need Raxco.

I have tried both, and I have used Disk Keeper since 4.0, and I can assure you that 50 bucks per license is worth every single penny. If you don't see a benefit in using such a tool, well then there isn't much I can say. TEST for yourself. It will keep your systems running at optimum speed, if you don't care that your systems run slow.. well you have other issues.

Built in products that come with Windows are like comparing a Kia with a Lexus, sure they both have 4 wheels, seats, and a steering wheel, but the comparison ends there. Lexus drivers KNOW the difference.. and why they pay more for the latter.

Disk keeper hands down.

0 Kudos
LiamGP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Totally agree with this.

What I never mentioned in my post above is the Windows one is basic, but since you asked for a free utility, well, it is built in and free. Diskeeper will outshine the built in Defrager and also has the benefits of running itself, so you don't need to keep checking if the scheduled task is working and can also be centrally managed with their Administrator tool.

0 Kudos
dclark
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I recommend you take a look at contig.exe from Sysinternals/Microsoft. It allows you to defrag individual files or an entire drive - and it is free! I also use Diskeeper 2007 on some servers, but in my opnion contig runs much faster....

0 Kudos
DiskeeperRep
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Most of you may be already familiar with the content in this document, but just in case you are interested anyway, this white paper discusses virtualization and disk performance from the fragmentation POV

http://files.diskeeper.com/pdf/Virtualization_Performance.pdf

You can also find more information on various Diskeeper technologies here

http://www.diskeeper.com/products/documentation/documentation.asp#whitepaper

Hope this helps.

Best regards Smiley Happy

-

Representative

Diskeeper Corporation

-

0 Kudos