VMware Cloud Community
AllBlack
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Datastore renaming nightmare

Hi there,

My storage got renamed to snap00000009. I would like my old storage name back.

I can't rename it because the old one still exists in inventory/datastore.

When I check the summary of my snap storage it tells me there are no VMs but when I browse it I can see all of them

My original storage seems to be the other way around, Shows all the VMs but when I browse nothing appears.

How do I get everything back the way it was? I dont want to accidently delete all my files.

Cheers

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have other servers that access the same LUN, then you have to do as you say, remove access at the array. Then you can rescan your hba's, and the storage should be gone. You should put the host in maintenance mode first to make sure there's no vm's running on it.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looks like you enabled Resignature, and are seeing the result. Did you lose connectivity to the LUN, and had to restore it? Does the old datastore name still have VM's attached to it, and can you browse it? If nothing else, in order to register vm's on that datastore, you will have to re-register all the vm's on it. I would try one other thing, and I'm not sure it will work since the datastore was already renamed. Remove access to the LUN from the server, assuming, of course that no vm's are currently running on it. Disable resignature, but turn off the LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun. As long as you don't delete/format the LUN, you shouldn't lose files on the LUN itself. At this point, it may even be easier to copy the LUN, if you have the storage available, before doing anything else to try and recover.

You should also open an SR with vmware to see if they can help you recover things back to the way they were previously.

-KjB

0 Kudos
AllBlack
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Once I de-registered the vms on the server the old data store disappeared automatically. It was just a matter of re-registering them

and renaming the datastore back.

Talking about removing access to a LUN from a server, how does that actually work?

It seems that if you click remove it would destroy the data on the LUN. Not something I want to do

as other servers are connected to it. Almost seems like I have to disable access to LUN on the clariion first.

Cheers

Please consider marking my answer as "helpful" or "correct"
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have other servers that access the same LUN, then you have to do as you say, remove access at the array. Then you can rescan your hba's, and the storage should be gone. You should put the host in maintenance mode first to make sure there's no vm's running on it.

-KjB

0 Kudos