VMware Cloud Community
pkadmin1
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore recreation problems

Installed 3.5 on 2 HP DL380 servers with a ton of SAS local storage (will use VSA) and found out the installer defaults the VMFS to 1mb blocks.. Called vmware tech support and was walked through deleting the datastore in the vmware client and recreating it with bigger blocks. After 10 minutes or so the client froze and when I went to the console it was frozen as well. It seems deleting and recreating the datastore is a death sentence for these things. After a few hours I pulled the plug on it and started it, it stuck at the boot loader and never got further than the word GRUB.

I reinstalled ESX again and told the installer to not even create a VMFS partition so I can do it in the client later.. Everything went ok, logged into the client added the datastore, and the same thing happened. It tried to create it, froze.. Gave it over 10 hours to "create" a datastore but the client and console was frozen. I rebooted it the hard way then it stuck on the boot loader again.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reading

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

How large a VMFS datastore are you trying to create? The largest LUN ESX will recognize is 2 TB and the largest VMFS datastore you can create is 2TB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
pkadmin1
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to create a 950gb datastore

0 Kudos