VMware Cloud Community
doppiaemme
Contributor
Contributor

Datastore not shown

Hi all,

I'm struggling trying to create a datastore on a new ESX server.

I'm using an iSCSI SAN, two LUN, I can see the LUN but I then come across the well-known issue of partition table not accessible and so on.

I've partially solved that doing:

-mklabel bsd the two storage devices

-create a partition on them, mark it as an "fb" type, do the "trick" of moving

the beginning of the partition so that it’s at sector 128

-formatted both units with /usr/sbin/vmkfstools -C vmfs3 -S Spare_DS /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba32 etc.

At this poin I can see the volumes from the CLI:

# ls /vmfs/volumes/

4a112ad4-ce741268-93a4-001c23e1695a Shared_DS

4a115300-8c1d4ff0-2b1e-001c23e1695a Spare_DS

I tried to create files in them from the CLI, everything is ok.

But in VIC, in Configuration->Storage I can see only the smaller one.

I've also tried to rescan the HBA several times for both new storage and VMFS volumes but nothing has changed.

Do you have any hints at what I am doing wrong??

cheers,

Massimo

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

How large are these drives? Rememebr ESX can only use drives that are less than 2 TB -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
doppiaemme
Contributor
Contributor

no, they are pretty small volumes, it's a test installation, the smaller volume is 6GB, the larger is about 50GB.

thanks

massimo

0 Kudos
jitendrakmr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If it is being listed at ESX host level using command line then you should try reseting the vmware management services and agent using "service mgmt-vmware restart" and "service vmware-vpxa restart" and see if it reflects in GUI.

Thanks.

Jitendra

VCP, MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Admin, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, Netapp NS0-153 (Storage Networking)

Personal Website -

VCP, MCSE 2003, MCITP Enterprise Admin, CCNA, ITIL Foundation, Netapp NS0-153 (Storage Networking) Personal Website - http://www.virtualizationtrainings.com, http://www.hillsindia.com
0 Kudos
doppiaemme
Contributor
Contributor

I've tried restarting the mgmt-vmware service (I don't have the other running as I'm not using VC for now).

I also rebooed the ESX. Nothing has changed. I can still see two volumes with

#ls /vmfs/volumes/

If the volumes are under /vmfs/volumes, does this mean they are properly set up, right? So it seems to be an issue with VIC?

Massimo

0 Kudos
doppiaemme
Contributor
Contributor

I've sorted the issue but don't know why the systme works now,

ultimately the NIC card on the SAN (an e1000) was set to 100Mbit/s.

After having set it properly to 1000Mbit/s and done a rescan of the hba it has found the volume and now it appears properly.

I have no explanation to this!

Thanks anyway

Massimo

0 Kudos