VMware Cloud Community
talion83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore 'free' space appears incorrect.

My Datastore had 15gb free, I went to increase one of my systems Hard Drives (and thought I did) but that system is still showing the same HD space (in ESX/VM IC) and my curren't 'free' space is displaying as 3.74gb. I went through and deleted all of my snapshots, no change. I even went into my Datastore and added up EVERY single file...I should have ~20gb free.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From the client, datastore space seems to take a while to catch up to reality in my experience. If you log onto the service console and do vdf -h you will get an accurate picture.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

From the client, datastore space seems to take a while to catch up to reality in my experience. If you log onto the service console and do vdf -h you will get an accurate picture.

0 Kudos
talion83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I use that command i get 'bash: vdf: command not found'.

I use Putty to SSH into the Console, I login as my SSH user. Got above error. I did 'su' and changed to root, same. I did 'CD /', got the same, i also tried going to the datastore directory and got the same thing (also tried vdf -h /vmfs/volumes). Any idea on what I may be doing wrong? Also, the Snapshot deletes were done yesterday, about 12-15 hours ago.

I am using ESX Server 3.5, Build: 123630.

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As root, try /usr/sbin/vdf -h (or cd to that directory first).

0 Kudos
talion83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDF does not exist within the /usr/bin folder.

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

not /usr/bin --- /usr/sbin

0 Kudos
talion83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ahh my apologies. when i run that command it shows for my VMFS/volumes:

size - 271; used 235G; Avail 35G

How do I get the infrastructure to recognize this so I can actually use it to launch a new VM?

0 Kudos
Wimo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If the space is there, you should be able to use it, whether the client is displaying it correctly or not. As for how to get the client to be more accurate - good question!

0 Kudos
talion83
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wimo, thanks for your assistance. I'll be putting in at ticket with VM support to see if they can help me resolve this issue.

0 Kudos