VMware Cloud Community
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

DRS and Vmotion are in violation of microsoft licensing

Just read a very interesting article about how microsoft is lifting their licensing restrictions on virtual mobility come September 1st.

that is, of course, unless your virtualisation solution of choice is VMware.

i read this article more thoroughly - i had no idea what licensing restrictions existed on "virtual mobility" in the first place.

essentially it works like this: if you have a windows 2003 VM running, say, SQL 2008 Enterprise, under the current licensing conditions by microsoft you can only move that VM from one physical host to another physical host once every 90 days.

that's right folks - DRS or Vmotion can only be run once every 90 days ... unless you want to purchase additional licenses UP FRONT for running the software on another physical host.

microsoft is tying the license for their products to the PHYSICAL HOST HARDWARE and not the virtual machine.

this all changes on September 1st for everyone bar VMware. since VMware are not part of the "Microsoft Server Virtualization Validation Program", Microsoft won't pass on this licensing freedom. According to Microsoft, VMware has been invited to join, but has not participated.

read more in the article below.

---

http://www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=1696911245&eid=-4152

Microsoft lifts licensing restriction on
virtual mobility

90-day restriction will be removed on Sept. 1 for the most
commonly used Microsoft server applications.

Microsoft Tuesday confirmed that it will eliminate a

licensing restriction that prevented customers from moving virtualized

applications to a different server more than once every 90 days.

Microsoft also said it will begin providing new levels of

technical support for applications running on virtual servers, but not those running on VMware's hypervisor.

Server virtualization technologies allow virtual machines to be swapped from one physical server to another without disrupting end users. But under current Microsoft policies, customers must reassign a software license in order to make such a move, and can only do so once every 90 days.

That 90-day restriction will be removed on Sept. 1 for the

most commonly used Microsoft server applications, including SQL Server 2008

Enterprise edition, Exchange Server 2007 Service Pack 1 Standard and Enterprise

editions, Dynamics CRM 4.0 Enterprise and Professional editions, Office

SharePoint Server 2007, and Microsoft System Center products. In all, 41 server

applications are affected.

This move was anticipated by industry observers, as [reported

by Network World last week|http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/081308-microsoft-virtual-licensing.html]. Analysts believed the time restriction

unnecessarily limited the system flexibility that makes server virtualization so

useful.

Not all server applications are gaining the new, more

favorable licensing structure, however. Forrester analyst Christopher Voce said

one noticeable absence is SQL Server Standard edition. Microsoft is apparently

trying to give customers added incentive to upgrade to the more pricy SQL Server

Enterprise edition, Voce says.

"This was an evolutionary change to the Microsoft licensing

that everyone expected," Voce says. "They introduced the kind of flexibility

that you would expect for Microsoft applications in virtual environments. But

it's not all roses for certain customers."

Microsoft predicted that many customers will be able to

reduce the number of licenses they have to purchase, since they won't need

licenses for every machine a workload might possibly be moved to. "You don't

have to have every target machine licensed ahead of time," says Zane Adam,

senior director of integrated virtualization at Microsoft.

With the change, Microsoft server apps running on virtual

machines can be moved to any server within a "server farm" as often as customers

want without accruing additional licensing fees.

Server farms are defined broadly. A customer, for example,

can move a workload from a server in New York to one in Los Angeles without

being charged an extra license fee, Adam says. However, moving a workload from

the United States to Europe would require an additional license.

A 90-day restriction still applies to desktop applications,

such as the Microsoft Office suite. Adam says Microsoft is leaving the desktop

time limit in place because desktop programs don't require the same level of

mobility as do server applications.

In addition to eliminating the 90-day rule for server

applications, Microsoft also said it will provide technical support for

applications running on several types of hypervisors. Previously, Microsoft did

not offer the same level of support for products if they were running on virtual

machines rather than physical servers. Now customers using any one of 31 server

applications on virtual machines can expect full support.

But there's a catch: the policy applies only to Microsoft's

Hyper-V virtualization software and third-party hypervisors that have been

certified under Microsoft's Server Virtualization Validation Program, which

launched in June. So far, only Cisco, Citrix, Novell, Sun and Virtual Iron have

started going through this validation process.

VMware, the x86 virtualization market's dominant vendor, is not in the program, Microsoft says, which means this enhanced level of support will not be extended to Microsoft products running on VMware servers. Adam says VMware has been invited into the program, but has not participated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

there are two issues here

1. restrictions on mobility

2. technical support

DRS and VMotion are covered by the new policy. In regards to #2, Microsoft's current policy is not to support their applications running on a virtual platform. The new policy says that they will provide technical support for their applications if the hypervisor is certified under their program. VMWare joined yesterday but I don't know when they will be certified. This only comes into effect if you are contacting Microsoft for technical support on their applications and has nothing to do with licensing.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Windows OS wise, I just make sure my ESX hosts have DataCenter licesning.

For MS Application on mobility on ESX, how could they even tell if the VM was moved? Are they going to require a special software piece be installed on the Virtual Host as part of their "certification" process?

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

i wasn't really too concerned about the microsoft tech support part. i'm focusing on the licensing part.

all of this (at the moment) hinges on VMware being certified by Microsoft.

until such time, any customer using DRS or VMotion is in violation of microsoft licensing, assuming they have not already purchased multiple licenses to cater for all physical hosts.

given the fact that this has been the case for quite some time, why hasn't VMware jumped onto this earlier?

p.s. where did you get the info regarding that VMware joined the microsoft program yesterday?

0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

The licensing only affects application mobility and not the operating system itself.

how can they tell if the VM was moved? the same way they can tell if you have legally licensed a product. for volume licensing, this essentially means they cannot.

the issue here comes down to valid licensing. you either have the correct number of licenses, or you do not.

microsoft licensing has always worked on a "per machine" basis for most of their licensing. this is how you can have microsoft office installed on your local PC and also on your terminal server, but only pay for one set of licenses.

what most of us assumed, however, was that a "machine" meant a "virtual machine" and not a "physical machine".

0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualization competitors VMware and Microsoft have found

common ground in a deal that will let customers receive technical support for

Microsoft applications running on servers virtualized with VMware's hypervisor.

There doesn't seem to be any official announcement, but a

Microsoft spokeswoman said Tuesday that VMware has joined Microsoft's Server

Virtualization Validation Program. This means that VMware will try to get its

hypervisor certified by Microsoft, and once that happens Microsoft will offer

technical support for Microsoft applications running on VMware servers. It's not

clear when those support plans would become available.

Previously this week, Microsoft [told

Network World|http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/081908-microsoft-virtualization.html?hpg1=bn] that VMware had been invited to the validation program but had

not joined. VMware apparently changed its mind Monday afternoon. Hypervisor

vendors already in the Microsoft program include Cisco, Citrix, Novell, Sun, and

Virtual Iron.

0 Kudos
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't know how it is at your company, but our legal dept always says - "Show us the documents. What do they say?"

After reading numerous articles regarding this change, and also reading the licensing brief about a dozen times, I still think my answer is the correct one.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/d/4/3d42bdc2-6725-4b29-b75a-a5b04179958b/Application_Server...

Currently, VMotion is in violation if it it is moved more frequently than 90 days. After Sept 1, it will not be if you have the appropriate licensing.

0 Kudos
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We also license our hosts with Datacenter Edition for the OS

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMWARE is in the SVVP now ...

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3766486/VMwareMicrosoftDecidetoPlay+Nice.htm

and at any rate, how on earth will MS verify how many times you've vmotioned their hosts anyway?

0 Kudos
wizdude
Contributor
Contributor

not exactly. as i posted above (and as it says in the same article you linked to), they are working towards certification in the program.

i guess we just have to assume they will become certified shortly. i have no idea how long this process takes.

until then, all your servers are living in sin!

0 Kudos
ablej
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In response to how will Microsoft find out how many times a VM has been VMotioned. VMotion info can be pulled from the Virtual Center Database. So if you get audited they might ask for the information

www.holy-vm.com

David Strebel www.david-strebel.com If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful"
akmolloy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We also buy a datacenter license for all of our hosts. I did the math at one point and found this to be cheapest. (We have an EDU select agreement so pricing is cheap).

0 Kudos