VMware Cloud Community
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS/Vmotion "A general system error occured: Failed to open the swap file."

I have a ESX DRS/HA Cluster with 4 ESX Servers. 3 of them were running 3.5.0,110181 and the 4 was slightly older. This morning I patched the 4th server to the same build. No DRS Vmotion has stopped working. I get the following error message "A general system error occured: Failed to open the swap file." after 90%.

I have read a few articles on this issue already, most seem to relate to NFS datastores. I have checked that all 4 hosts have access to the same datastores and all are using fqdn to access the volume.

Has anyone seen this issue before?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For some reason my Datastore paths seem to be changing. Sometimes it reports it is using the fqdn as the device path, then it is using the ip address. But it is always consistent across the cluster ??

0 Kudos
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For some reason my Datastore paths seem to be changing. Sometimes it reports it is using the fqdn as the device path, then it is using the ip address. But it is always consistent across the cluster ?? Edit

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

I have seen this with some linux guests. Had to shut the guest down in order to get vmotion to

work for them again. Same thing ay 90%. Could the the temp vswp get created in the guests log

and watch it get created. Just could not be read by server vmotion was moving it to

0 Kudos
nhwuxiaojun
Contributor
Contributor

hello ,colud some body solved this problem.

I've the same issue.only one vm proceed to vmotion,other failed,and get the same error "A general system error occured: Failed to open the swap file." form VI client

0 Kudos
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

have a look at this kb:

It specifically states that this is for a VM that cannot be powered on, so it does not exactly apply to your situation, but perhaps the cmds it gives in here can be of help.

0 Kudos
Narkis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has the LUN enough free space ? Please check the LUN's free space on which VM's are presented.

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

The inconsistencies are due to the way in which the NFS exports were created

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos