VMware Cloud Community
JonSnow_Stark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DRS: VM migrate without reason

Hello all,

I'va a serius problem with my VI3.

I've 6 HOST (ESX3.5U1) with HA/DRS (fully automated : moderate)

- 3 Host in a datacenter "Room A" and three HOST in another datacenter "Room B".

The three HOST in Room A have a specialized port group on a vSwitch named "VLAN-Room-A".

Curiously, sometime, a VM attached on the port group "VLAN-Room-A" migrate on a ESX in the "Room B".

The VM boot but without network of course.

I cannot understand this behavior ?

Could you help me please.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are all 6 hosts in the same HA/DR cluster? If so, recreate the clusters as separate for each room. Otherwise, DRS will migrate to the host that best supports the additional load and it does not check for VLANS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are all 6 hosts in the same HA/DR cluster? If so, recreate the clusters as separate for each room. Otherwise, DRS will migrate to the host that best supports the additional load and it does not check for VLANS.

0 Kudos
JonSnow_Stark
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How !

Yes, All hosts belong to the same cluster ha/drs. but the port group name "VLAN-Room-A" is only defined on host in "room A"

I'm very surprise DRS not be able to check the existence of the port group and the datastore before migrating a VM.

Thanks for the answer.

0 Kudos
mikepodoherty
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You should be set up so that VMotion is on a separate network from the port group for the guest server communications, the migration takes place on the VMotion VLAN (network communications) not on the VLAN supporting the guest servers. That is how it happens.

0 Kudos