VMware Cloud Community
Grove12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DRS & Allocating Resources

New to the forums, so hello everyone! I'm currently using ESX 3.5 with about 20 production VMs running in it, including DCs, SQL, file/app servers, etc. We want to virtualize most of our datacenter because of the DRS/HA/Clustering advantages. It's been extrememly successful so far, but I have a question about DRS. We can't really tell if it's "doing it's job" in reallocating resources. Does DRS migrate VMs or reallocate resources only when there's an issue? I was under the assumption that it will always balance resources evenly, regardless if there is a problem. Is this incorrect or does it wait for a spike in resources and then adjust accordingly?

Any help is most appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DRS only activiates when a VM (or VMs) are resource requirements are not being met - so if the ESX hosts are able to deliver the resources needed DRS will not move them -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

DRS only activiates when a VM (or VMs) are resource requirements are not being met - so if the ESX hosts are able to deliver the resources needed DRS will not move them -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Grove12
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Makes sense. Our 3 hosts are pretty powerful boxes and I have yet to stress them. This past weekend I put one into maintenance mode and watched all the vms migrate to other hosts. When we pulled it out of maintenance mode nothing migrated back. I thought that was strange, but all resource requirements were being met... so I guess they wouldn't migrate until there was an issue. Looks like we have some room to play with. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct - happy to help!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Actually, DRS will sometimes move VMs around to balance load even if all VMs are getting the resources they need or are entitled to. It depends partly on how high you set the aggressiveness rating. If you set it to most aggressive, DRS tries to keep load very balanced, and so you'll see more VMotions at this setting than at the lower settings - if your load changes at all. Here's a list of some of the criteria that DRS uses to assess whether to recommend a VMotion or not:

a) Is the VM getting the amount of resources it is entitled to? (In the case of very light load, the answer to this is always yes)

b) degree of load imbalance relative to the aggressiveness setting you've configured

c) sum of VM reservations on a host < total capacity of the host

d) ping-pong prevention: looks at historical load information to avoid constantly moving around VMs whose load keeps changing

Ulana

0 Kudos