VMware Cloud Community
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

DPM and hardware

Just a thought about this feature...

I guess once solid state disks become common place and booting from USB etc like 3i this wont be a problem but does anyone think or agree that DPM will have a detrimental affect on the components within the physical host?

Im just playing with it in DEV at the moment and it seems very realiable but is a server turning on and off say every day going to have as long a life as a box that sits with the Disk Spindles going continuously?

Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FredPeterson
Expert
Expert

You point out exactly why it could be a disk-health issue long term.

I would say though, that if a server is really turning on and off that frequently, you shouldn't use DPM - its probably not worth it.

0 Kudos
Cloneranger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I know exactly what you mean about hard disks,

You sound as if you have been in this game quite a while, as I have, Smiley Wink

Basically the idea that Hard Disk Drives dont like to be turned on and off is out of date and redundant. Unless you are using servers that are more then 3 or 4 years old this should not concern you,

Modern U320, Fibre, SATA and SAS Hard Drives are passed a standby request from their host, they then stand down to a sort of 'domant mode' for want of a better phrase, they spin down to a much lower RPM, then they shut down completely,

In short modern hard disks are designed for constant power downs and power ups,

You would only develop a problem if the disk was repeptitively ripped from it power supply whilst being accessed.

0 Kudos