VMware Cloud Community
vmjim
Contributor
Contributor

DPM, WOL, ESX 3.5 and Dell 2850

Has anyone gotten a Dell 2850 or 1850 to successfull wake up (power on) via WOL from Standby Mode? I have read KB 1003373 and an using the latest ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5 update1. My Dell 2850 successfully Enter Standby Mode using VirtualCenter but VirtualCenter will not Power On (right click option) the server from standby mode.

Thanks for any conformation that this work.

Jim

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ascari
Expert
Expert

i have tryed to use DPM on HP DL385G5 without problems. Have you the lastest firmware revision for your dell server?

Bye Alberto

paulmack
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What NIC's are you using. I've got it working perfectly on Dell 2950's with the onboard Broadcom NIC's.

Cheers

Paul

Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If your VC server is on a different subnet than the host? If yes, make sure UDP type 7 gets forwarded as this is a directed broadcast..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
vmjim
Contributor
Contributor

More information on testing DPM:

1) Two Dell 2850 and two 1850 have LOM Intel NICs. Each server has an additional Intel Pro 1000 dual port NIC.

2) I used Intel IBAUTIL.EXE to enable WOL on the on NIC ports that show it's supported in the IBAUTIL utility. I can't find any reference to WOL in the server's (new) BIOS.

3) I updated each server to BIOS A07 and BMC 1.72 A09.

4) VC shows all NICs support WOL.

5) When VC places any server in Standby Mode, no NIC ports show a link light when the server is powered off, therefore VC can't power on the server using WOL.

6) After VC puts the server in StandBy Mode (no link light on any NIC ports) and I manually start the server using the power switch , let the POST run, then power off the server using the front panel switch, the VMotion NIC (and others) has a link light and VC can Power On the server using WOL.

The bottom line is, when VC puts the server in Standby Mode, I have no link lights on the NICs, so no WOL. If I power off the server with the power switch, I have link lights on NIC and WOL seems to work.

I'm using a Dell 2724 switch and will be looking at that next.

Thanks for any help. jim

0 Kudos
vmjim
Contributor
Contributor

My VC, ESX Servcie Consle and VM network are all on the same subnet. My VMotion kernel is on an isolated network and my iSCSI-NFS kernel and Service Console is on another isolated netwrok. The VC can only "ping" the ESX SC. What interface on the ESX server is VC using for WOL? I guess I could answer this with a packet capture. Thanks, this sounds like the right track to my problem. jim

0 Kudos