VMware Cloud Community
Unix-Sysadmin
Contributor
Contributor

DPM / PowerOff-Problem on Dell PE2950

Hello,

we´re currently running ESX 3.0.2 | 63195 on Dell PowerEdge Servers.

We recognized that the Server never shuts completely down. It doesnt matter if we state the "init0"-line or initiate the process via VirtualCenter, the last message is "power down" and there the server stops. We always have to manually (button, RMI) shut it down. This would make DPM crashing our clusters because the server(s) couldn´t be powered on properly, wouldnt it. The VC 2.5 displays the NICs with wake on LAN activated but I dont think DPM could power the server on.

Does this problem also occur in 3.5?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Yes. There is no power management feature in Linux to turn machines off. Some machines will turn off, but some won't

If you search the forum for Dell open management, someone gives the command line to power off a PE server, if you hvae Dell Open management node installed. That's about the only way you will get the server to power off.

But, ESX isn't really designed to completely shut off a server... That defeats the whole purpose of a server, they usually run 24/7.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Every single one of our redhat Dell boes will fully power off following a proper APCI event.

ESX doesn't do it.....sounds like a ESX problem to me....and yes, DPM is MEANT to do this for ESX 3.5.....

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Unix-Sysadmin
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your answers.

Recentley, I had time to test the 3.5 with a PE2950 and it always shut the PE down properly.

Maybe its just something with the 3.0.2.

0 Kudos