VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

DNS issues - HA problems and cannot add server back to cluster - Server and VM's disconnected

I was storage vmotioning some VM's today and noticed that an HA configuration warning appeared on one host (about 5 hours ago)...... well it happened again before while storage vmotioning some more VM's to another SAN. I checked out the error and it said there was a hostname lookup failure..... and sure enough there is!!

The hosts file and /etc/sysconfig/network file have correct DNS entries.

When I run 'hostname' from command line...... it doesn't return anything.

I've restarted hostd, vpxa, vmkauthd and network services - still no luck.

I cannot add the server back to the cluster either (after disconnecting it and trying to reconnect it). I've also removed it and tried adding it. I get the error of "Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem"

I can ping the server via IP and FQDN with no problems.

It'd be great if someone could help..... coz it's late and I wanna go home :smileygrin:

ESX 3.5 update 1

I've just logged into the ESX server directly via the VI client - Within the DNS and Routing configuration tab the correct host and domain names are configured, however within the lefthand side window where the VM's are listed..... the hostname is blank....

Message was edited by: java_cat33

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well I don't know what the heck happened with DNS - however I've sorted it by re-setting the hostname. I'm going to bounce it and see if it sticks to ensure the problem does not return!!

0 Kudos