VMware Cloud Community
kirkafrey
Contributor
Contributor

DIgi Edgeport for more COM's in ESX?

Has anyone used a Digi Edgeport to provide more serial ports to an ESX 3.x host? Just wondering if it works or not.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is such a card on the supported hardware list ?

Wouldn't it be easier to provide COM ports directly in the VMs through a serial-over-IP or USB-over-IP solution ? Not only would that avoid support issues with ESX (for ESX, those solutions are just passing around ethernet packets), they will maintain the HA and VMotion/DRS compatibility for your VMs.

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

DRS and HA would be the problem, IF the card was supported. Personally I don't beleive it will work currently as the Digi Drivers would be required. If you want to provide COM ports for the VMs I would go with the the Digi ONE for COM over IP. I have used these a few times now and they are great in a HA/DRS environment.

0 Kudos
kirkafrey
Contributor
Contributor

This is a single host install so HA/DRS is not an issue.

Edgeport is just a USB to multiple serial box. I sort of doubt that it would be officially supported but thought some may know if it works or not.

0 Kudos
kirkafrey
Contributor
Contributor

Plus I already have 2 Edgeports in hand Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

even if DRS/VMotion/HA are not an issue, the -over-ethernet solutions give you more flexibility, e.g. a higher maximal port count as well.

0 Kudos
kirkafrey
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for all the alternative options.

Has anyone used an Edgeport on an ESX box?

0 Kudos