VMware Cloud Community
Gary_Elkins
Contributor
Contributor

Customer X is trying to snap shot the replicate target volume and present it to his vmware server in NYC in order to bring up hosts.

Customer X is trying to snap shot the replicate target volume and present it to his vmware server in NYC in order to bring up hosts. I am under the impression that that is not going to work properly since the target vdisks are not accessible in a way which you would be able to see any data. The only way(s) which this would work is if replication was paused, snap clones were taken and then presented. (or usage of mirror clones).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert

What exactly is your question?

##############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
Gary_Elkins
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to bring on line a copy of a replicated VM volume or in worst case the volume itself on the DR VMware server. This is not working Created Snapshot then created Snapclone of VMware volume present it to VMware server, no data showing. Next try; paused the replication and presented the replicated volume to the VM server the LUN did not even got connected to the VMware server. Is there a sequence I need to follow. I realy need your best practice / experience input on this. I do not know what I am doing wrong, this supposed to work

0 Kudos
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

VM volumes..?

You mean VMDK files or raw device maping lun?

what do you use as replicating software?

Jon

shinsterneck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am not sure whether I follow your question, but let me try:

In case you are using Netapp to snapmirror an entire volume or QTree, you remote NetApp filer should also have the LUNS configured correctly.

However before you can see the LUN on the ESX server you need to break-up the snapmirror (you can later resume again).

Within the remote netapp filer's management screen, expand the "SnapMirror" Category, then click on "Manage".

You should now see the list of snapmirror configurations. Click on the "Advanced" link of the item you would like to break-off.

Then select "Quiesce", then refresh the screen until the "break" menu shows. As soon as it does you can click on "break" to break-off the snapmirror.

At this stage the LUNs will become read/writeable and visible to your ESX server. you might need to refresh the storage controller (through the ESX virtual center).

(You can later click on resync to connect the snapmirror back, don't worry it will only replicate the changes since the breakoff)

Depending on how you are planning to use the LUN, you might also want to enable "LVM.EnableResignature"

http://communities.vmware.com/message/780579

I am not sure whether this is what you were asking about. If not please send some more details and I will try to answer you questions.

regards

Shin

Best Regards, Shin
Gary_Elkins
Contributor
Contributor

My customer is using HP EVA 6000 with Continuo's Access (HP synchronous network product) to replicate to NYC from CT.

0 Kudos
Gary_Elkins
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You - Customer missunderstanding.

0 Kudos