VMware Cloud Community
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor

Creation of New VM

Hi,

I post this before . I have some doubt and create a new ost.

1) When you run through the "New Virtual Machine" wizard step #3 gets you to pick a datastore for the VM..

Does this means the folder is created in a DATASTORE ?

What is the Impliction if I select Virtual machine instead of Datsatore. I believe if I select VM, it still store in a Datastore which I do not see the different for a NEW VM Setup?

Thanks

Note: I can only see the difference if you Add a NEW hardisk to an EXISTING MACHINE. , then it resides on that same folder.

This is where the .vmx and other "VM" files will go. Step #9 is selecting a disk, and if you chose to create a new virtual disk then you get asked where you'd like to put it. If you pick "Store with VM" then the new disk is put on the same datastore that you picked in step #3 (i.e. it will be stored with the .vmx file). If you pick another datastore then the new virtual disk will be created on that datastore.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The datastore you select, either a VMFS datastore or NAS/NFS, is where the virtual machine will get stored underneath a folder with the same name as the display name of the VM - I do not see how you can select a VM at this stage since only datastores should be presented -

Step 9 creates the virtual disk and you have the opportunity to store it in the same folder with configuration file (.vmx) or store in a different datastore -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ChrisLopes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

In summary, for new vm creation

Step 3 - Select Datasotre

Step 9 - select VM instead of datastore.

In summary, to add new hardisk to existing VM,

Select VM only .

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Step 3 is choosing where you will store the vmx, nvram, log files for the VM -

In regards to step 9 I think you are looking at the option where you want to store the virtual disk you are creating - either with in the datastore with the otherfiles of the VM or on a different datastore in its own directory - so to create a new disk you choose the Create a New Disk on the Select a Disk page - this will cause the creation of a new disk - the next page is asking how large and where do you want to store the virtual disk - with the other files of the vm or on a different datastore -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding ppoints by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos