VMware Cloud Community
enorthcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Creating a raw disk fails

I am in the process of creating some raw disks for an exchange implementation on my VI3 cluster. I am getting odd errors. When attempting through VC, I receive the message:

"[b]A general system error occured: Internal error[/b]". ("occurred" is misspelled in the error message)

I also tried from the service console using the vmkfstools command:

\[root@host]# vmkfstools -r /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:3:0 exchange.disk1.vmdk

Failed to create virtual disk: Function not implemented 2490377[/b]

I am using a Qlogic iSCSI HBA. All members of the cluster "see" the LUNs. I've not used RDMs before, but it seems pretty straightforward. Any thoughts?

Eric Northcraft enorthcraft at gmail.com
0 Kudos
5 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion

I also tried from the service console using the

vmkfstools command:

\[root@host]# vmkfstools -r

/vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:3:0 exchange.disk1.vmdk

Failed to create virtual disk: Function not

implemented 2490377[/b]

You must run this command on current vmfs volume (it will create the file exchange.disk1.vmdk on this vmfs volume).

0 Kudos
enorthcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for the reply. I was attempting to create the RDM on a current VMFS volume. If I were to fully path the command it would look like this:

\[root@host]# vmkfstools -r /vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:3:0 /vmfs/volumes/ds1/exchange/exchange.disk1.vmdk[/b]

Does that seem correct?

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

\[root@host]# vmkfstools -r

/vmfs/devices/disks/vmhba1:0:3:0

exchange.disk1.vmdk

This commmand is ok, but you aren't currently in /vmfs/volumes/ directory ( [root@host[/b]]#), aren't you?

0 Kudos
enorthcraft
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Actually my current path was /vmfs/volumes/ds1/exchange. In \[root@host] root[/b] refers to the user and host[/b] refers to the hostname. I've removed actual names to make thing a bit simpler (or that was the thought anyway).

0 Kudos
christianZ
Champion
Champion

Have you tried to do it in /vmfs/volumes/ds1 directory directly?