VMware Cloud Community
cobalt128
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating PortGroup without Vlan ?

Hello group,

Here we just have networks subnets (no vlan).

My question is can we create portgroups (without vlan) just for label purpose, and associate it with our subnets for the VM ?

Many thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So you have a flat network (ie 172.16.X.X/16) and then have used different subnets for different area's

\- 172.16.1.X for network

\- 172.16.2.X for servers

Etc

I wouldn't bother trying to use portgroups. It would be like labeling your physical swithc with different ports for different subnets. When looking at the switch it serves an organization purpose, but other then that you are gaining nothing by specifying which ports are which subnet.

Even with vlans I never look at the portgroups. If anything, I'd use resource groups or folders (with no limits) to seperate out servers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

So you have a flat network (ie 172.16.X.X/16) and then have used different subnets for different area's

\- 172.16.1.X for network

\- 172.16.2.X for servers

Etc

I wouldn't bother trying to use portgroups. It would be like labeling your physical swithc with different ports for different subnets. When looking at the switch it serves an organization purpose, but other then that you are gaining nothing by specifying which ports are which subnet.

Even with vlans I never look at the portgroups. If anything, I'd use resource groups or folders (with no limits) to seperate out servers.

0 Kudos
cobalt128
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks !

I think we will go with portgroups just to labeled our subnets. When Vlan will be implemented, I'w just have to write the Vlan ID in portgroups properties.

Mark

0 Kudos