VMware Cloud Community
ThePizza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Creating New VM - Error

I am evaluating VMWare ESX 3.0.1 on a "whitebox" that only has one NIC. I have the box successfully connected to my NAS storage, but now when I go to create a VM I get through the entire wizard to be greeted by an error stating:

"A general system error occrued: The system returned an error. Communication with the virtual machine may have been interrupted."

When I click "OK" I am returned to to the Virtual Machines summary page and no new VM.

I have created two port groups, one is the default "VM Network" and the second called "production" (for NAS) along with a vmkernel port called "NAS Access" and the service console port.

At any rate . . can't add VMs. Please help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can store other files on it like ISO images (although in production you may not want to).

If you're managing this from a windows PC, download a copy of winscp and then connect to the server (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php). You will have to create a login to connect to with winSCP as the root login will be disabled from doing so (that can be changed if you want).

On the ESX server go to /vmfs/volumes// and try to copy a file to it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What sort of NAS are you using and can you add a VM to a local datastore if you have one?

0 Kudos
wcrahen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Do you have an external router providing the VLANs for the port groups?

0 Kudos
ThePizza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The NAs is just an NFS share sitting on another computer - Everyone Full Access for now. The VM Host box only has one hard drive, so there is no local datastore to use. This is very much an eval environment.

0 Kudos
ThePizza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No VLANs setup at the moment. Each of the two IPs I've given the box are on the same VLAN.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you able to copy an ISO file or other file to the your datastore?

0 Kudos
wcrahen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you don't have a router providing VLANs you need to get rid of the port groups, just create a single virtual switch providing both console and VM traffic all on one switch.

0 Kudos
ThePizza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you able to copy an ISO file or other file to the

your datastore?

I guess I am not entirely sure what you are asking. I don't know how to copy items to the data store. I thought they only held VMs.

0 Kudos
ThePizza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you don't have a router providing VLANs you need

to get rid of the port groups, just create a single

virtual switch providing both console and VM traffic

all on one switch.

I removed the second port group called "production" and I have the same error.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can store other files on it like ISO images (although in production you may not want to).

If you're managing this from a windows PC, download a copy of winscp and then connect to the server (http://winscp.net/eng/index.php). You will have to create a login to connect to with winSCP as the root login will be disabled from doing so (that can be changed if you want).

On the ESX server go to /vmfs/volumes// and try to copy a file to it.

0 Kudos
ThePizza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dingdingding!!!

It was the setup of my NAS that was the issue here. had something to do the the tcp mount type. At any rate a few config changes did the trick. I made my first ESX VM . . . yay.

0 Kudos
Misinformed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. I am trying to create volumes on a 64 bit NAS and was wondering if that would have anything to do with getting this error?

0 Kudos