VMware Cloud Community
Yeltnarb
Contributor
Contributor

Create new VM from ISO on datastore error

Hey all!

This is my first post, so be kind! :smileygrin: Just kidding, almost all the posts I have been reading are positive!

I am trying to create a new vm but receive an error message "file not found" when pointing to an .iso stored on the ESX host server. After creating the vm, I edited the CD/DVD device to connect at startup, pointed the DEVICE TYPE to DATASTORE ISO, browsed to that location, and clicked on the .iso file. When I select OK to finish the configuration, the error message appears.

I read some documentation from VMWare saying I need to edit the vpax.cfg file to add the ESX host location. By default, it only reads from the vmimages folder. Problem is, I can't find the file. I went to the specified location using SSH as SU, did a ls -ah, but alas, no file.

I copied the iso from a DVD to a newly created mountpoint directory on the ESX host, then mounted it. Still cannot browse to that location and see the files from the VI client.

I am running ESX 3.5 update 2 on a Dell 2950 server. Also using VI client 2.5.0. VC is 2.5.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KrazyD
Contributor
Contributor

With 3.5, all .iso files and mount points to an iso sharepoint (like a Windows or NFS share) have to be located in /vmimages. Back in the old days, we used to be able to browse /mnt. With 3.0, /vmimages became standard to only be able to browse but creating a symbolic link back to /mnt used to work.

However with the advent of 3i, mounting iso images from a host is being discouraged in favor of using media and iso images from the client. This can be a pain especially when you can't mount them until the VM is powered on.

My standard ESX build includes a mount point /vmimages/winshare to be able to mount to our iso share stored on a Windows server. However, I usually train people just to connect to install iso images from VIC.

Hope this helps.

Yeltnarb
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the response KrazyD. Lead me to what I will be using in the future, that is, pointing to an iso from VIC. figured out that if you do use the VIC, you have to mount the DVD/CDRom, wait for the failure, then issue a Control-Alt-Delete. It keeps the CDRom mounted so it will read the iso on the reboot.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums, It is always good to see new blood :smileygrin:

I have moved your post to the Dedicated ESX 3.5 forum. the area you originally posts is usually just for VMUG issues like when and where is the next meeting etc.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos