Create a new drive to a VM from another DataStore

ESX 3.5 Cluster 2 nodes - All VM's are Windows 2003 Server

I don't remember the update number.

Disk subsystem for DataStores are 4Gb Fibre

2 DataStores:

datastore1 = SAS drives

datastore2 = MDL (SATA)

VM name to add new drive: GOOFY

I have this one VM GOOFY that needs a new 100GB drive attached to it. The VM GOOFY resides in datastore1. The new disk needs to be created in the datastore2 beacuase it's static data. No changes to the files, basically just read data of documents so high I/O performance is not necessary.

How do I do that?

Temporarily I created a VM called GOOFY_D with that drive size and attached GOOFY to the new 100GB.vmdk and assigned the new drive as the "D:" drive and removed the VM from Inventory. It works but I want to do it correctly.

Yeah, that was the "Mickey Mouse" way of doing it but hey, it works!..........for now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't have access to a test environment at the moment. However. if it only asks for the datastore, it should create a folder with the VM's name on this datatstore automatically.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The usual way to do this is to create a folder on the datastore where you want to have the new vmdk. Then open the VM's settings and add a new HDD. The wizard will ask you whether you want to store the new HDD with the VM or at another location. At this point select the new folder on the other datastore.

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The wizard does ask which datastore but never asks which folder to put it in.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I don't have access to a test environment at the moment. However. if it only asks for the datastore, it should create a folder with the VM's name on this datatstore automatically.

André

0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I take that back. Your correct, it did create a folder but called it goofydisk.

That should work for me.

Thanks Dre!

0 Kudos