VMware Cloud Community
stfconsulting
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Crash with PSOD on Poweredge 2900 ESX 3.5 U2

Today was my first offical PSOD crash that I have seen with VMWARE ESX (not bad for 3 years of using the product). We have a customer with a Dell Poweredge 2900 III / PERC 6i Controller with SAS Disks. I am not really sure where to begin with troubleshooting this. I restarted the server and it came back up without any issues. The firmware on the storage controller is out of date and the latest firmware is marked Critical. I am not sure if what I experienced is a known issue. This server has been in production for over 6 months so I was surprised to see an issue crop up. I checked Dell Open Manage and it reports all system components with a green check.I have attached the output from the PSOD. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Before I start upgrading firmware etc I wanted to get some advice.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NTurnbull
Expert
Expert

Can you run something like memtest86? Even though the Dell utils have come back with a clean bill of health for the hardware they dont really stress test the hardware, thats where I'd start

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks, Neil
0 Kudos
gorto
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PSOD are caused by either Hardware (soak test it, particularly RAM) or Agents (particularly Hardware monitoring Agents)

Soak test, then remove any additional agents - and monitor

0 Kudos