VMware Cloud Community
lavinl
Contributor
Contributor

Copying a clone from one DataCenter to another

We have a clone that we can to copy from one Cluster to another Cluster on another network.We have tried to use the converter to import it and got an error becuase it couldn't determine the OS of the Guest. Trying to push it caused an error claiming their was already an object with the same ID..

Other than the converter how do you move copies of clones? from on VC to another.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bobmacks
Contributor
Contributor

I got converter to migrate my VMs from ESX 2.5 to ESX 3.0 hosts so I'm not sure why that failed for you. Perhaps there might be some messages in the logs which could help.

Other than converter I guess you can use some ghosting software to transfer an image of the OS to a VM on the other DC, or if you're lucky enough to be using SAN replication across your two DC then you can use fire up a VM on the other DC with a copy of original VM's vmdk file.

0 Kudos
lavinl
Contributor
Contributor

Is there a preferred best practices way to move a clone? Making clones is a great way of capturing a system, but it would be nice to be able to keep that clone somewhere totally separate and remote for disaster recovery.

0 Kudos
klieu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There ways to get this out of the Data center boundaries - It is dependa to your ESX infrastructure setup:

1 - if you have common backend storage like SAN NAS : from VC data store you can un-register the clone from one DC and register on the other DC.

2 - If you have dsipare backend storage - SNEAKER NET -- you can copy the clone folder to and mid point server like a SMB share that bothe DC have access to the share the move to the destination data store on the target DC - then register the VM through data store featuer in VC. this will be slow

it is best to know your ESX infrastructure - can you give more information about it?

K

0 Kudos
lavinl
Contributor
Contributor

There is common storage used for the datacenter,,, Just trying to figure the best way to get clones off site..

Starting to sound like SAN mirror copies might be one avenue

0 Kudos
klieu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I am reading you right, you are looking for the best way to utilize DR for your virtual environment - If so - and the $$$ is not an issue - What I personally think the best is using ESX Ranger or Platespin to have a local SAN backup of your VMs and replication to remote site using SAN propriety replication software - it sounded very simple - but depend on your environment and business requirements all this can be changed dramatically - but to begin with local DR images of your VM, ESX Ranger or PlateSpin are the two that I recommended.

Smiley Happy

K

0 Kudos