VMware Cloud Community
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy NetApp Snapshots to another External Storage

We currently use NetApp Snapshots as a form of image-level backup for our VMs. So far, we've successfully recovered from the NetApp Snapshots for corrupt VMs. What I want to do now is copy these snapshots over to another external storage. Has anyone done this and if so, do you have a script that you can share? I just need to take copies once a month. We do file-level backups of the VM's OS and files, but my responsibility is the recovery of the VM image as an entity.

Please help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know that you can move those files, but if so you can use the Ontap to copy the files, although you have to copy them to volume, then mount the volume, then use a computer connected to that volume and copy the files from there. That's probably the only way to do it, unless you call NetApp for support. I doubt if they will tell you how to copy snapshots, since it's a proprietary system.

0 Kudos
rgv75
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried to use the 'cp' Linux command on the console to make copies of the .VMDK located at .snapshot on the NFS volume to another external storage (Windows NFS). I tested them by restoring it to another ESX local storage, created a VM for it, and then starting it up. It worked. Now if I can just figure out a Linux script to schedule this. I'm not a Linux admin, but just end up taking on VI3 as a new role for my company. Any Linux experts out there?

0 Kudos