VMware Cloud Community
agorts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert VMs between ESX server and VMWare server or VMWare Workstation...

Hello,

I just installed a VMWare ESX server v.3.50 82663...

I have 2 VMWare server hosts (one 1.0.5 and the 1.0.3) and a VMWare Workstation in my notebook...

How can I convert some of those VMs in the new ESX server?

I already try the VMWare Converter v.3.0.3 build 89816 but there was some kind of problem when connecting to the ESX host (after ask me for partition info)...

1) Can I do this through some other tool?

2) Can I do this with VMWare Infrastracture Client?

3) Can I do this with VMWare VirtualCenter server?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

is there a firewall between your source vms and your ESX host?

see: http://communities.vmware.com/message/817760

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hmm Converter would seem to be the perfect tool for this as that what's its designed for. When you said you had some sort of problem what sepcifically was the problem with the conversion? Do you have a log you can post?

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Converter should do this just fine, you could also try the converter built into workstation, is it version 6 you are using? what is the problem you are having with converter?

0 Kudos
agorts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CheckDestAvailable called

Transition from None to InProgress requested

Transition succeeded

Starting execution of a Task

Successfully connected to VMImporter

Successfully connected to VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Start managed object method for task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Waiting for updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task (Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Got an update from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Waiting for updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

(Re)Start waiting for property updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Remote task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task completed

Waiting for updates from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Got an update from VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Cleaning up remote task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task Disposing task wrapper for task VmiCheckDestAvailableTask::task

Task failed: P2VError IMPORT_DEST_MANAGED_HOST_NOT_FOUND()

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

0 Kudos
VMKR9
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

is there a firewall between your source vms and your ESX host?

see: http://communities.vmware.com/message/817760

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you ping the ESX host that is your destination? Are you using a DNS name or IP address as your destination? Is your name resolution working properly?

0 Kudos
agorts
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK

It was the Symantec Firewall in my XP...

Thank you

0 Kudos