VMware Cloud Community
Bjornz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert Citrix Xen .XVA format

Were in a startup of a project including Citrix Merchandise server 1.0.

We dont wont to run Citrix Xen because customer already use vmware as hypervisor.

The Citrix Merchandise server 1.0.is deliverd as an appliance with format .xva (xen appliance format)

Q1: Is there a way convert .xva format to vmware format?

Q2: If its possible to do that, can customer expect support from vendor (probably not i asume)......

/Z

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jonathan_Storey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey there,

yep, annoying this. I wanted to run the vm version of Netscaler from Citrix in a vmware based environement. Did the research, no real joy. I then was contacted by citrix checking up on the eval - here's the skinny:

Hi Jonathan,

Our commitment is that early next year we will support esx. Our commitment is to open standards and we accept that we need to offer this across the market.

I suggest a meeting (1hr) to give you some more detail on the VPX and how it will integrate with ESX early next year. We could come to your office to provide this update.

Many thanks,

Peter

Peter xxxx

Online and Retail Sales

Application Networking Group

UK & Ireland

• WEB:

*Sent: 15 October 2009 08:47*

*To: Peter xxxxxx*

*Subject: RE: Citrix Netscaler/ VPX

Morning Peter,

Yes, I downloaded the vpx product with an eye to firstly gaining more technical experience with the product, then potentially moving it into a clients test and dev environment. However, due to the format the virtual device is presented in, my experience so far has been non existent. We and the great majority of the clients we (ITEX) deal with have a vmware esx based infrastructure, for both test, dev & increasingly production and dmz. I find it quite frustrating, though understandable, that citrix do not provide a format that is compatible with esx server. If you have any knowledge on this topic or ways round it, Iâ€TMd be glad to hear, but for the time being if it wonâ€TMt run out of the box on a vmware based virtual environment, my involvement will be decreasing significantly.

Regards,

Jonathan Storey VCP, CCIA, CCEA, CCA, MCSE, BSc. Hons

IT Consultant

Itex (Jersey) Ltd

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello Z...

I have no answers to your Q's I'm afraid.... but I have a Q for you:

Can drivers running in the appliance be replaced..?

That would be needed, I think...

I have no idea on how the CMS server works..

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
VMmatty
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You could always download the free version of XenServer (XenServer Express) and import the virtual machine, and then use VMware Converter to convert it to an ESX VM..

Matt | http://www.thelowercasew.com | @mattliebowitz
0 Kudos
shunter86
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same thought. Set up a temporary XenServer then use P2V to import the Merchandising Server into a VMware ESX environment.

-Shane

0 Kudos
Jonathan_Storey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey there,

yep, annoying this. I wanted to run the vm version of Netscaler from Citrix in a vmware based environement. Did the research, no real joy. I then was contacted by citrix checking up on the eval - here's the skinny:

Hi Jonathan,

Our commitment is that early next year we will support esx. Our commitment is to open standards and we accept that we need to offer this across the market.

I suggest a meeting (1hr) to give you some more detail on the VPX and how it will integrate with ESX early next year. We could come to your office to provide this update.

Many thanks,

Peter

Peter xxxx

Online and Retail Sales

Application Networking Group

UK & Ireland

• WEB:

*Sent: 15 October 2009 08:47*

*To: Peter xxxxxx*

*Subject: RE: Citrix Netscaler/ VPX

Morning Peter,

Yes, I downloaded the vpx product with an eye to firstly gaining more technical experience with the product, then potentially moving it into a clients test and dev environment. However, due to the format the virtual device is presented in, my experience so far has been non existent. We and the great majority of the clients we (ITEX) deal with have a vmware esx based infrastructure, for both test, dev & increasingly production and dmz. I find it quite frustrating, though understandable, that citrix do not provide a format that is compatible with esx server. If you have any knowledge on this topic or ways round it, Iâ€TMd be glad to hear, but for the time being if it wonâ€TMt run out of the box on a vmware based virtual environment, my involvement will be decreasing significantly.

Regards,

Jonathan Storey VCP, CCIA, CCEA, CCA, MCSE, BSc. Hons

IT Consultant

Itex (Jersey) Ltd

0 Kudos