VMware Cloud Community
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Consolidation - add to analysis - missing server

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 that I want to "add to analysis" in the Consolidation portion of VC2.5, however when I go to the "show domain" for the domain it's under, it does not appear.

• Several other servers within the domain appear here.

• I've verified the server is in the correct object path in AD.

• Other servers in it's subnet and of like-builds are showing up.

I can't find an online guide to the Consolidation portion of VC2.5. There is a help section and also a portion on the online library, but I am just unsure of how to get this server analyzed. Perhaps a service on the target server is not started or some sort of specification prohibiting it from showing up?

Any answers or thoughts are appreciated...

Greg C.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
cepelo
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue, I can see the machine in the Windows domain from the Virtual Center server (via browsing the domain) but it does not show up in the browse list of the same domain in the Consolidation tool.

0 Kudos
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cepelo

Let me know if you have any luck with this... as it's still an issue for me. I have been so tied up in all my upgrades and the Update Manager feature, not to mention we don't really have any plans to use the Guided Consolidation tool now... but I would like to know what the fix is here...

thx

~grc

0 Kudos
mirko_beuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hello guys,

i'm having the same problem, is there any solution for this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure the VMware Capacity Planner Service starts as the Administrator account on the remote machines.

Let me know if that helps

Franco

0 Kudos
gregchait
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No dice Franco.

It does not appear to have any service (named vmware, consolidation/capacity planner or anything similar) running on this server, however that is still the case with other servers that are showing up as part of the domain, but have not yet been added to analysis.

This is the kind of thing I could run up the chain to my VMware SE contact, but I don't really forsee using the consolidation tool too much as we are moving to a full server refresh of most machines that are targeted for virtualization (a lot of old w2k and nt os's).

I am just more curious where the hang up is... why this isn't working...

~grc

0 Kudos
shayes3
Contributor
Contributor

Having same problem here.

Most of my servers will be rebuilds but I want to get performance estimates to start planning sizing.

0 Kudos
jhorn
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. Has anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
ac57846
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'd also be inclined to look for special characters in the server names, as well as browser errors in the event logs on the VC and missing servers.

The Capacity Planner service on the VC server uses the browse list to discover servers, no service is installed on the discovered or monitored servers.

Al.

0 Kudos
jhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. Majority of the machines in the domain are not showing up in the list. I have not been able to pinpoint any specific differences in which ones are showing up and which ones are not. I checked even viewer for our VC manager and one of the missing machines and I haven't found any errors.

0 Kudos
arthurvino1
Contributor
Contributor

Having an issue here as well.

The server didnt have a DNS setup properly, so I just added a PTR record in DNS.

All I have to do now is refresh the list of servers for the domain in the VC 2.5 but I dont see that option. I know its still using the cached domain list.

any help?

thanks

0 Kudos
jhorn
Contributor
Contributor

Which server didn't have the PTR record? Your ESX server or your Virtual center server?

0 Kudos
arthurvino1
Contributor
Contributor

The server I wanted to add to Consolidation (P2V). For some reason I cant see that server when browsing domain in VC 2.5 Consolidation Menu.

0 Kudos
Sp0cky
Contributor
Contributor

any update?

0 Kudos