VMware Cloud Community
jeware73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Consolidation Problem

I have enabled consolidation on my EX 3.5 Server to perform analysis on approx 15 Physical systems. The status shows that is it collecting data from the systems however after 48 hrs when I select a system and click on PLan Consolidation it says thet VC has not gathered enough info to recommend a destination.....

Is there a way to trace the vcpCollector.exe to see what it is id doing? There are no errors in the log files but it does whow that is running every hour.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That could very well be - remember the Consolidation Plugin uses capcity planner to gather information on your physical servers and this can take a few days until it can gather enough informaiton to determine which physical machines to virtualize and where to place them -

When you use the full Capacity Planner product it is recommend to run that for 30 days but with Consolidation Plugin it does it iteratively and once it comes to decision it will present it but it might take a few days -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That could very well be - remember the Consolidation Plugin uses capcity planner to gather information on your physical servers and this can take a few days until it can gather enough informaiton to determine which physical machines to virtualize and where to place them -

When you use the full Capacity Planner product it is recommend to run that for 30 days but with Consolidation Plugin it does it iteratively and once it comes to decision it will present it but it might take a few days -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
jeware73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thanks, do you know how I can tellif in fact it really is collecting data though? Is this data stored in the VC Database or in another location so that I can at least confirm that data is in fact being collected but juts has not been doing so for long enought time.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check in C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VMware Capacity Planner

Two executables, vcpDataMgr.exe and vcbCollector.exe. I am guessing these two have what you are looking for.

Don

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
jeware73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don Thanks. The vcpCollector is running and using cpu cycles. When I run the vcpDataMgr I am able to see that data is being collected. Si I guess I have to wait before I can use the Plan Consolidation from within the VC Client under Consolidation.

Thxs!

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I got better results running fewer machines in the agent at a time. Rather than adding every server I could see to the analysis, I added 5 or so at a time. Seemed to run better that way. When I initialy added over 45 servers at once, after three days only a few had completed and the rest were still analyzing, collecting data, or whatever. Doing it in smaller chunks worked better for me.

Don

0 Kudos