VMware Cloud Community
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Configure network on host

I apologize ahead of time for the amateur nature of this question, but I'm demoing 3.5 and have installed the host on a machine, but it won't allow me to configure the network settings. When I go to "Configure Management Network", I only get the option to "Reset Default settings".

I would like to make the address static, but the option is not available.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

alt-F1 at the main screen, should say that on the screen Smiley Happy

You ARE viewing the computer's output right? If you have a monitor directly hooked up to the desktop with ESX 3.5 installed you s hould see:

VMWARE ESX SERVER VERSION 3.5.0

SERVERNAME.JOEBLOW.COM (IPADDRESS)

TO MANAGE THIS ESX SERVER, USE ANY BROWSER TO OPEN THE URL:

HTTP://IPADDRESS

TO OPEN THE ESX SERVER CONSOLE, PRESS ALT-F1

TO RETURN TO THIS SCREEN, PRES ALT-F11

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you still in the install process or have you completed it? Are you connecting to your host via the Virtual Center client or are you using the web interface?

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The installation has completed. When it boots, I go to F2 to configure settings. When I click "Configure management network" i don't get anything but the option to restore the network settings. It doesn't pull an IP from the DHCP, so I can not connect from a client.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have a supported NIC card in the server?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When I first setup ESX 2.x on a test computer I struggled for hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't pull an IP or connect to the netowrk...

Turns out I had two network cards and I was using the wrong one lol.

Good idea about the NIC! Check to make sure it's compatible, plugged in(important), and that you are plugged in to the correct NIC if you have multiple.

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not supported. It's a high end desktop unit from Dell and I was hoping to gain some experience and exposure to VMware using it as we don't have the luxury of having higher end servers hanging around. It's the NIC built into the motherboard.

Would it be possible to add a supported card to it? If so, what are some of the most common PCI slot cards?

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Most of the Intel Proset cards should be fine. I believe Vmware has a compatible NIC sheet somehwere...

This PDF should have a good list for you bud:

frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmmmm, it's a Broadcom device 57xx series and the list shows many variations of it. Maybe it's not supported though...If i put a new adapter in, on startup would it immediately work, or do i have to reinstall?

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 should have the necessary drivers for most popular NICs. It's kind of puzzling why yours isn't working.

If you go to the console and type in ifconfig does it list any network cards at all? That command should should you the network cards and their connection info

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how do i get to the command line? I feel pretty good about linux, but i couldn't figure how to get to put in some commands

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

alt-F1 at the main screen, should say that on the screen Smiley Happy

You ARE viewing the computer's output right? If you have a monitor directly hooked up to the desktop with ESX 3.5 installed you s hould see:

VMWARE ESX SERVER VERSION 3.5.0

SERVERNAME.JOEBLOW.COM (IPADDRESS)

TO MANAGE THIS ESX SERVER, USE ANY BROWSER TO OPEN THE URL:

HTTP://IPADDRESS

TO OPEN THE ESX SERVER CONSOLE, PRESS ALT-F1

TO RETURN TO THIS SCREEN, PRES ALT-F11

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

oh ok. Yeah i'm looking at the screen, however mine doesn't have any text below where the IP address is, so i didn't see the "Alt-F1" thing...

Thanks

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When I hit alt-F1, it shows:

Starting openwsmand

and no option to input anything. It won't let me type anything. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You've lost me man. Honestly lost me at the start when you said you hit F2 and you were given network options lol. You're positive you're in ESX 3.5 at the main screen after you've installed the OS?

Click this link, this is the screen you should be at unless you are doing something unorthodox. Ignore the VMPLAYER thing.

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You did remove the cd from the drive after you installed ESX 3.5 right?

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

call me crazy, but my screen looks nothing like that. here's what i have:

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hehe, you're using 3i, not ESX 3.5 Smiley Happy Two different products. Go get an ESX 3.5 trial and install that instead.

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

isn't 3i, their new deal? What's the difference?

0 Kudos
frist44
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/130918

looks like it's only supported on 2950 right now.. That's a waste!

0 Kudos
Phil_White
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3i is a minimal version of ESX, pretty much just the core code that gets you going and is meant to be a hardware solution, not something you install really(someone correct me if I'm wrong here)

There is no GUI, you have to do every thing through the command line, so if you're a Linux junkie then you'll probably enjoy 3i.

As I recommended, I would really go for ESX 3.5. You will like it much better Smiley Happy

0 Kudos