VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Configuration Maximum - Maximum number of VMs per Hosts

I had a question from a user about the maximum VMs per ESX Host. (3.0.2 and 3.5 if it is changed). I know in reality it depends on the resources it is using but theoretically using the document (Configuration Maximums ). How many 1-vCPU VMs could you put on a host.

The table belwow confuded me a little.

# This maximum "Number of virtual CPUs per server 128" makes me think the maximum is 128 VMs

# However, these two entries "Number of cores per server 32" and "Number of virtual CPUs per core 8" makes me think it should be 256 VMs

Table 2. Compute Maximums

Item Maximum

• Number of virtual CPUs per server 128

• Number of cores per server 32

• Number of virtual CPUs per core 8

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well to me.. thats saying that the maxium number of cores that can be present on the host server is 32 which then equated to 8 virtual machines per core...

In terms of the number of VM's per host as a maximum (ignoring reality) - I am not too sure - but by that document, you indeed it indicates that 128 VM's are possible as a maxium as long as you have 32 cores on that host.

Does that make sense...

P.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well to me.. thats saying that the maxium number of cores that can be present on the host server is 32 which then equated to 8 virtual machines per core...

In terms of the number of VM's per host as a maximum (ignoring reality) - I am not too sure - but by that document, you indeed it indicates that 128 VM's are possible as a maxium as long as you have 32 cores on that host.

Does that make sense...

P.

0 Kudos
wondab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I agree with 128 being the maximum number of hosts. The rest is used by the host itself.

ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You are right the maximum number of 'powered on' VMs on an esx host is 128 - which relates directly to the maximum number of vCPU's

gmreddy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The maximum number of RUNNING virtual machines (provided every VMs only uses 1 vCPU) is 128 only.

You can't run more than that.

0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

There you go, think that answers that one! :smileygrin: 128 powered on VM's is the limit per host as long as you have 32 cores. All agreed!

P.

0 Kudos
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK. The next time some one offers me an 8-way quad core server, I'll keep that in mind.

Still talking theoretically, related to those same numbers (8 VMs per core). So if my 2-way quad core server can host a maximum of 64VMs, any guesses what I would see if I tried for VM 65. Would it generate an error or would hitting enter be the beginning of a black hole. At times, the latter is preferred.

0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

8way quad core... nice... :smileygrin:

0 Kudos