VMware Cloud Community
nonarKitten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Configuration Issues

Just upgraded our first ESX server from 3.0.2 to 3.5 a couple of weeks ago and up until now have had no issues. However, just today - without any provocation, it went red with the following error:

Configuration Issues - Unable to apply DRSresource settings on host 'fiano.tera1.com' in 'TERA Datacenter'(Reason: A general system error occurred: Invalid fault). This can significantly reduce the effectiveness of DRS.

There are no other errors to speak of, nor anything in the VirtualCenter Server's event logs. It doesn't seem to be having any effect on the running VM's either, and at the moment, all seems well enough side from this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to the more approproiate ESX Server 3.x Configuration forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
bhadzik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS only kicks in to move virtual machines, or chose where to place vms when they power up, so if this is broken, it doesn't affect allready powered on machines.

Can you still vmotion?

Try disabling then re-enabling drs by rigth clicking on the cluster, and unchecking DRS.

nonarKitten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMotion still works. As an odd - potentially unrelated - problem the cute little Getting Started tabs have the graphics missing.

Tried unsetting and resetting DRS for the cluster - ran through without a hitch, but the problem is still there. DRS is currently set to manual since I felt that auto-migrating from 3.0 to 3.5 might be catastrophic (?) until we're done upgrading across the whole cluster. The host is nowhere near fully allocated (about 30% CPU and 70% RAM) and we're not using reservations (somewhere I heard that setting reservations might cause DRS problems, so we just use shares).

0 Kudos
nonarKitten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just manually migrated a machine to the 3.5 host. The status breifly returned to green and then after a few minutes went red again. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with some hosts being 3.0 still and that this is a generic error basically stating that "I won't be able to migrate systems off this host onto any other hosts" or something like that...

0 Kudos
nonarKitten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the problem was that ESX3.5 did not want to DRS-vmotion back to the 3.0 machines. Once everything was 3.5 across the board, the error disappeared.

0 Kudos