VMware Cloud Community
Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

Combined Partitions After Cloning

I've a Windows 2003 server with one drive (Drive 0) that was divided into 2 partitions (C: and E:). C:\ drive has the standard OS and files, and E:\ drive is where the SQL application and database reside. I can import this physical machine into VMware just fine, but it creates only C:\ drive, since there's only one Drive 0.

When VMware combines the drive letters C: and E: as one (C:), will my SQL applicaton still work fine, since all references pointing to E:\ drive no longer exist? I've not turn on this VM machine since I am afraid that it would really mess things up.

I was told by VM support that it should work fine when both partitions are combined as one, provided that I may need to reinstall SQL due to different entries/paths in the registry.

Just curious, if I select the C:\ partition for conversion only for the first virtual machine, boot the VM to make sure it boots fine, then convert the E:\ partition using a different VM name, but instead of booting it up this time, I just add the second *.vmdk file from this VM to the first virtual machine as the second drive. Do you think this will work?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Using ESX3.5 (82663) and VMware Converter Enterprise Client v4.0.0.62387

Thanks.

Hieu

0 Kudos
3 Replies
outbacker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why do you think it combined them as one if you haven't yet turned it on? I've never had vmconverter to that before, and i've done quite a few. However, if it indeed combined them, sql will be pissed and most likely would need to be reinstalled.

0 Kudos
Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

I could see that both partitions are combined as one partion as it showed only one hard drive under Edit Settings with the total amount of disk space of both drives. During the conversion process, it also showed only C:\ drive from the task list even though both partitions were selected.

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert

To combine in 1 vmdk or split, is very depend what you want to achieve from your end. From OS perspective, it only recognice the drive letter or mount point. is just an option.

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
0 Kudos