VMware Cloud Community
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

Cold Migration from Intel to AMD Opteron

I moved all my VM's from Dell PE 1950's to Dell PE M905's. I had to use cold migration because of different CPU's. All my VM's came online except for one. A Win2K3 R2 server that would get to the initial Windows loading splash screen then go to a blank screen and never present a login screen. I moved it back to the PE 1950 and it came online, although it did take several minutes. Any ideas as to why it will not come up on the M905?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you arrive the vm per ping, or per rdp session?

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
Chuck8773
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you boot it up on the 2950, is there anything in the event log about why it was pausing?

Charles Killmer, VCP

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Charles Killmer, VCP4 If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

I can ping it, but cannot RDP to it.

0 Kudos
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing in the event log at all from the time I shut it down to when I brought it back up on the 1950.

0 Kudos
msoutherland
Contributor
Contributor

I scheduled the migration again for next week and the server came up fine. I have not found anything in any event logs as to why this happened. But, everything is up and running on the new servers.

0 Kudos