VMware Cloud Community
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cluster

Getting ready to setup first cluster on our ESX datacenter. My first attempt was giving me an error. I moved the ESX out of the created cluster and was getting an error about HA. I think I needed to remove HA or disabled it or something prior to leaving the cluster.

On the DNS. Our virtual center is part of our Windows active directory. It uses our internal windows DNS servers. The ESX hosts I had pointing to our schools primary DNS servers since they were not Windows boxes. Should I have the ESX hosts using the windows DNS serverslike virtual center to avoid issues with the cluster working correctly?

Craig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - If virtual cenetr can not resolve the ESX hosts by name then there will be issues with HA - so define the ESX hosts in the Windows DNS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - If virtual cenetr can not resolve the ESX hosts by name then there will be issues with HA - so define the ESX hosts in the Windows DNS -

0 Kudos
malaysiavm
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

to remove the esx host from the cluster, you can right click select disconnect the host. once it disconnected, and you can drag it out from the cluster.

for your HA, you may need to check the host name and fqdn configuration on your esx host, my suggestion is to keep it all lower case on every host you may want to cluster together.

for DNS server, either windows base or linux base DNS server will work too. For DRS, you may need to make sure your vmkernel interface configure correctly and vmotion is tested correctly too.

Craig

vExpert 2009

Malaysia VMware Communities -

Craig vExpert 2009 & 2010 Netapp NCIE, NCDA 8.0.1 Malaysia VMware Communities - http://www.malaysiavm.com
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I agree with David, and to add a little more, we also define our vmkernel IP's in DNS.

cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

All good information. DNS is now in order across all the ESX hosts.

We have 4 2950 with X5355 Clovertown. The last two 2950s came with E5430 Harpertown. From the charts I have read I'm hoping I can use EVC to allow the newer 2950s to play with the older ones. Our ESX 3.5 are at update 4 as it VC.

Craig

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

keep this handy as well

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003212

0 Kudos