VMware Cloud Community
JBraes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cluster across boxes with win2k3 vm's Network setup

In the Setup for "Microsoft cluster services" guide they say that you need to create a seperate virtual switch for the intercluster communication.

Can't you simply add a portgroup to an existing virtual switch and dedicate a physical nic to it ?

This way you can also define a backup nic if the intercluster nic fails.

and you only need 3 physical nics if you want to give redundancy to you interclusterlink as it will use a physical nic as backup nic that is used as a primary nic for another portgroup.

I hope you guys understand what I am saying:)

I know that it will work , but is it supported by vmware ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ORRuss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see no reason why that would not work, but I think you want to go with the recommended config. Unless the vSwitches/portgroups you are proposing to use for the intercluster link are connected to a separate network than your production network, you are defeating the purpose of having this redundant connection. If the nodes cannot communicate over the production network for some reason, they need another way to communicate. If connection is broken on both paths (i.e. b/c they are connected to the same network) both nodes will try to claim the shared cluster resources, causing factional, intercluster warfare in which losses will be heavy. At that point, not even VMWare support could avert your outage. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos