VMware Cloud Community
cyberstein
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco VMOTION

Hi,

I need the settings for a dedicated vMotion Vlan on a cisco switch.

What do I need?

switchport access vlan

OR

switchport mode trunk

putting the ports into the same VLAN was not working.

pls help

thx

Kevin

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

What's your nic config? ie, how many nics are you working with and how are your bonds configured?

Here's a sample Cisco trunk config...

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport trunk native vlan 1001

switchport trunk allowed vlan 40,42,56

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

spanning-tree bpdufilter enable

end[/code]

0 Kudos
cyberstein
Contributor
Contributor

NIC:

1 NIC with one IP Address.

The problem is i am not able to ping and to vmotion.

I will try your written example.

thank you so far.

greets

Kevin

0 Kudos
Jwoods
Expert
Expert

Is this a test box? You're REALLY stretching it with 1 nic, even on a test box. VMware recommends 3 nics/4 nics with Vmotion.

I have 10 production blades with only 2 nics in 1 bond with 5 vlans. And that's because I had no choice with the NIC situation. My newer servers have at minimum 6 nics.

Message was edited by:

Jwoods

0 Kudos
bertdb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The VMotion port should have its own IP address, in a range not used by other applications. So if you management/production network uses 10.*, put your VMotion addresses in 192.168.100.0/24 or similar.

To test connectivity, write down your VMotion addresses:

ESX A: 192.168.100.1

ESX B: 192.168.100.2

from each of the ESX service consoles, you should be able to run

vmkping 192.168.100.x

(x being 1, 2, 3 or any other number that you've used on a server).

Don't just use ping, as that won't work. You have to use vmkping.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

We used Switch Ports configured for trunking and then specify a non routable VLAN on our Port Group. Keep in mind that VMotion requires a 1GB connection between ESX Host.

0 Kudos
cyberstein
Contributor
Contributor

Tank you all so far.

But the problem I asked for was not how many NICs I need. I can have more. For now I have one in use and one spare. But Still 2 PCI-e slots free.

What I asked for was the setup for CISCO to use VMotion. Can someone give me more Informations about this. My vmotion is working with a dedicated Crossover cable between two servers. Connected to a cisco switch configured with VLAN 45 and switchport it doesn´t work.

I Think I need a trunk but I need some help for this.

Thanks for your answers.

greets

Kevin

Message was edited by:

cyberstein

0 Kudos
Nibor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you specify vlan ID 45 for VMotion ?

Try to configure your switchports like this:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

spanning-tree portfast trunk

This forwards all vlans by default.

0 Kudos
cyberstein
Contributor
Contributor

hi Nibor,

what you mean with specify? I have created a Vlan # 45 and I put the ports where the servers with there VMotion NIC are connected into that VLAN.

0 Kudos
Rynardts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mate,

If you want to use 802.1q on a Virtual Switch, with multiple VLANS trunking through the same vswitch and NIC, configure your Cisco switch for "switchport mode trunk" not "switchport mode access".

Then allow the VLANS you need to talk to through that trunk.

Access ports are used when the device plugged into the port does not support or is not configured to strip 802.1q encapsulated packets. When using VMware ESX, forget about the NIC, it's the virtual switch linked to that NIC on the VMWare side that you need to keep in mind. VMware Virtual Switches DOES support 802.1q so it will strip and encapsulate packets and route them to their correct VLAN destinations, providing that the virtual switch has been configured for the correct port groups for those VLANS.

If you want Vmotion on a NIC that is dedicated to Vmotion, connect the NIC that is linked to the Virtual Switch created for Vmotion to the cisco switch, and configure your port on the Cisco switch for "Switchport mode access", and allow only the VLAN set aside for Vmotion through that access port on the Cisco side.

If you have a NIC connected to an access port, you should not need to do any VLAN configuration in VMware, as the encapsulation will then be handled by Cisco and not VMware.

So, If you are planning to use this NIC for nothing else but Vmotion, and the Vmotion VLAN on your network is VLAN 20, configure your Cisco switch as follows:

interface GigabitEthernet2/1

switchport mode access vlan 20

switchport mode access

If you are planning to have two VLANS (for exapmle, Vmotion: VLAN 20, and Virtual Machine: VLAN 21)on one Virtual switch, configure your Virtual switch with two port groups and add the VLAN ID to those port groups. The configure the Cisco switch as follows:

interface GigabitEthernet2/1

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,21

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

Message was edited by:

Rynardts

Rynardt Spies VCP | VCAP-DCA#50 | VCAP-DCD#129 www.virtualvcp.com
cyberstein
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone tell me why there is no grey line between the upper nic and switch?

I tried allmost erveything, but vMotion isn´t working.

<a href="http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=755122&#755122" target="_blank">!http://s6.directupload.net/images/070919/S3bf63dx.jpg|title=Kostenlos Bilder hochladen bei directupload.net|src=http://s6.directupload.net/images/070919/S3bf63dx.jpg!</a>

Message was edited by:

cyberstein

0 Kudos
bggb29
Expert
Expert

if you want to keep this simple you do not need to trunk

On the pswitch put 2 ports in your vmotion vlan.

Plug the 2 pnics into the ports, they are now on a seperate vlan. No need to tag the vswitch etc.

Vmotion is working with your crossover so no need to enable vmotion.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Your missing the line because you have the NIC in stand by mode. If you switched both of them to active it should correct that. Your choice.

0 Kudos
cyberstein
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your answers.

With your help I fixed my problem now.

Here my solution:

remove vSwitch ... add vSwitch

untag vMotion vSvitch (no VLAN)

Settings on CiscoSwitch

2. VLAN Creation: vlan 45

3. Changing SwitchPorts to: switchport mode access , switchport access vlan 45