VMware Cloud Community
Dave_McD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Changing subnet for VMkernel and Vmotion

Our current setup has Vmotion on the same subnet as our production machines, which I am not happy aboutand it is causing our 3com switched trouble when we vmotion a VM.

We have dedicated a subnet to vmotion and want to change the vmkernel port to the new subnet.

Our current vmkernel port has 2 physical nics, 1 in standby mode.

My plan is to create another vmkernel port on the same switch and the standby NIC. I would enable vmotion on that one, then disable vmotion on the original one.

I would then delete the original vmkernel port.

Will this plan work and if so, what sort of network out age will I be looking at.

Finally, is there a better way I can do it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Evening,

This is actually how we run our Service Console and VMotion. We have both Service Console and VMotion on one vSwitch. The Service Console port group is configured with 1 network adapter active and 1 standby. The VMotion port group is configured in reverse. This separates the traffic out while still giving you a level of redundancy in case a network adapter/cable goes down.

Since you are adding VMotion to an existing vSwitch (vswif0) then will be no outage, unless as the other poster said you have IP storage.

Kind regards,

Glen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're not using IP storage, no problems.

---

MCSA, MCTS, VCP, VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Evening,

This is actually how we run our Service Console and VMotion. We have both Service Console and VMotion on one vSwitch. The Service Console port group is configured with 1 network adapter active and 1 standby. The VMotion port group is configured in reverse. This separates the traffic out while still giving you a level of redundancy in case a network adapter/cable goes down.

Since you are adding VMotion to an existing vSwitch (vswif0) then will be no outage, unless as the other poster said you have IP storage.

Kind regards,

Glen

0 Kudos