VMware Cloud Community
fbedell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Change th Vmtools Version

Hi,

I have some problem to backup some VMs under esx 3.0.1.

I have upgrade all masters with new vmtools built-32039. Since, my vcb script don't work correctly on my Windows.

Before I have the vmtools built-36205 and no problem.

I know to vmtools are stocked in /vmimages/tools-isos-images

But it is possible to replace the new vmtools by older ?

I can try to copy from /usr/lib/vmware/isoimage/windows.iso from a esx 2.5.3 but is it dangerous ?

Thanks

Fbedell

Message was edited by:

fbedell

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From what I can tell of the build versions, you installed ESX 3.0, then installed the tools on the VM's, but I see no patches, hence the older version (build) of the tools.

I think you will find if you patch the ESX host the current level, your VCB will work fine, and your tools will be up to date also.

36205 sounds like the ESX 2.5 version, but you need to bring your VI3 up to current build (not sure what it is).

Like Wila said, you need to be using version 41412. Going backwards is definately not recommended.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You won't do yourself a favour with running VMware Tools 2.x on a ESX 3.x host.

The problem seems to come from VCB itself.

What errors do you see?

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Strange your newer vmtools have a lower build number....

Besides a fully patched 3.0.1 ESX host will give you vmware tools build version 41412

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From what I can tell of the build versions, you installed ESX 3.0, then installed the tools on the VM's, but I see no patches, hence the older version (build) of the tools.

I think you will find if you patch the ESX host the current level, your VCB will work fine, and your tools will be up to date also.

36205 sounds like the ESX 2.5 version, but you need to bring your VI3 up to current build (not sure what it is).

Like Wila said, you need to be using version 41412. Going backwards is definately not recommended.

0 Kudos
fbedell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have done more test and i don't understand what happened..

1 - At the begining, we have esx 2.5.3 ans VI 1.0. We made all the masters under this version.

2 - Later, we upgrade VI to VI 2.0.1 and stay with esx 2.5.3. The masters still in 2.5.3 version.

3 - We Install new ESX with ESX 3.0.1 and deply the masters on it. So we upgrade virtual Hardware and upgrade vmtools.

4 - Later we upgrade the server which contain Masters in 3.0.1, and upgrade virtual Hardware and upgrade vmtools of masters.

Now older ESX 2.5.3 are deleted. (1-2)

The first server 3.0.1 works with vmtools build 36502 and my vcb script work well. (3)

After the last upgrade all the new VMs still in vmtools 32039 and my scripts can't quiesced file system for snapshot. (4)

anyone have an idea ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Patch your server to the latest patch level, this should bring the vmware tools up to date again.

Get them here:

http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/vi3_patches.html#c4310

Message was edited by:

wila, you'll have to re-install vmware tools on the VMs after the patches.

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
fbedell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I will try like this.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
ITThies
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This update includes a update for the VMware Tools

http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/esx-3199476-patch.html

This patch is made for MCSC but use it. After appling the patch, reboot the host and upgrade your vmware tools.

----- Please feel free so give some points for a correct / helpful answer! Thank you!
0 Kudos
fbedell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The problem still again.

I have open a call and the vmware support have another solution.

For doing my backup I can use the option -Q0 to disable the quisce I/O and it will OK. But my backup can be not guaranted...

I will test it. Somebody have already try this ?

0 Kudos
fbedell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So,

I try the -Q 0 parameters to disable the SYNC driver. It's works well.

My Windows start properly but the Vmware support don't guarented the database integrity.

So I make some database backup on an external cartridge.

Franck

0 Kudos