VMware Cloud Community
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Capacity of new VMFS is less than the total capacity of all the extents

I recently created a new VMFS whose total capacity is not showing up. The “Storage adapters” view shows all the extents.

The total capacity should be well over 4 TB. However, when I look in the “Storage” view, I see a capacity of just over 3 TB.

I just updated this server to the most recent ESX 3.5 patches and rebooted it; the problem remains. Any ideas what’s going on?

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspotcom

-- Michael A. Lowry mlowry.blogspot.com
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Michael

I'm not sure if i've missed something here, but you mentioned in your original post that you expected the datastore to be over 4TB on size, however, looking at the extents that you have added, it only totals just over 3TB that you have shown...

i.e.

LUN 5 = 1.53TB

LUN 6 = 1.53TB

But LUN 7 only seems to be 1.61GB!! Is this correct??

Re RParker's comment about the increase button.. this is only seen on the vSphere wersion of the VI Client, not on the 2.5 version you are using.

Hops this makes sense, not sure if i've grabbed the wrong end of the stick here 😃

Cheers

Adam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you EXTEND the datastore?

0 Kudos
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response.

We added an extent to the datastore via the VI Client. Normally this automatically extends the datastore.

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspotcom

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Normally this automatically extends the datastore.

NO. It may extend the VOLUME but it will not extend the VMFS datastore. You have to click on properties for the VMFS datastore and click "increase"

0 Kudos
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I guess I don’t know where to do that. There’s no “increase” option here.

Thanks again.

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure why you don't see the increase button. Are you using the latest build of VI Client?

Your screen is a bit different than build 208111 of VI client I have.

0 Kudos
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just upgraded the Virtual Center Server and Infrastructure Client to version 2.5 update 6. The build number of both is now 227637. I do not see any change in the options since upgrading. Where do you see this “increase” button? Is there a command-line tool that we can use to achieve the same result?

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspot.com

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Michael

I'm not sure if i've missed something here, but you mentioned in your original post that you expected the datastore to be over 4TB on size, however, looking at the extents that you have added, it only totals just over 3TB that you have shown...

i.e.

LUN 5 = 1.53TB

LUN 6 = 1.53TB

But LUN 7 only seems to be 1.61GB!! Is this correct??

Re RParker's comment about the increase button.. this is only seen on the vSphere wersion of the VI Client, not on the 2.5 version you are using.

Hops this makes sense, not sure if i've grabbed the wrong end of the stick here 😃

Cheers

Adam

0 Kudos
MichaelLowry
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh gosh, now I feel silly. You’re absolutely right.

LUN 7 has just 1.61 gigabytes, not terabytes. Every time I had looked at the numbers, I had assumed that LUNs 5, 6, and 7 all had sizes listed in terabytes.

OK, problem solved. Thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious!

--

Michael A. Lowry

mlowry.blogspot.com

0 Kudos