VMware Cloud Community
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannot take snapshot

Hi,

I'm trying to take snapshot of my vms, bt in only one host I get the error message if I try to take a snapshot of any vm : "The operation is not allowed in the current state"

What are the possible reasons to this error?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Check the hard drives and see if they are set to independant mode.

I believe also having a physicval mode RDM will cause the same issue.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

You should be able to check the vm state by running "vmware-cmd /path/to/vm/config/file getstate" from the service console

You can get the config file info for your virtual machine(s) by "running vmware-cmd -l"

What state is your vm in?

Message was edited by:

VirtualNoitall

0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, they are all very standard vms, all vm I get the same error, I think that is something with the host,not vms.

I have sapce on storage, all vms are running.

Thnaks.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Was this VM migrated from ESX2.x? If so try right clicking the VM -> Upgrade Virtual Hardware. You can't use snapshots on migrated VMs until you do this.

0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well... I discovered that vms that I'm getting this error are vms that I dot not have vmtools installed.

But.....

when I try to mount it, i get the same error message. I installed vmtools from a network share to see If was only a mount problem, and after install it the host do not detect that vmtools is installed...

0 Kudos
luizhbedin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The problem was solved...

Acctually, all the problem was related to Windows NT 4 (in portuguese BR !!) that caused all this...

Solved fixing some OS issues, patches, installed vmtools...

Thanks all!

0 Kudos