VMware Cloud Community
MarkBK
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot set NIC speed and duplex

I cannot set my vmnic1 to 100 full. It is not an option in VirtualCenter and when I run the command line I get the error below. I tried setting the switch to auto and that does not help. Since the switch does not support Gigabit, I would really like to resolve this.

Any suggestions?

vmnic1 07:00.00 bnx2 Down 0Mbps Half 1500 Broadcom Corporation Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-SX

esxcfg-nics --speed 100 --duplex full vmnic1

Error: Function not implemented: Function not implemented

Aborted

ESX 3.5.0 77234 running on a new Proliant BL460.

Mark

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

In VirtualCenter, go to the Configuration tab and then select networking instead of network adapters. Go to the properties of the vSwitch that vmnic1 is attached to and select the network adapters tab. You should see vmnic1 and be able to select it and click edit, you can try changing the speed from there.

0 Kudos
MarkBK
Contributor
Contributor

When I edit the Nic in VC I have the choice of 1000/Full or Autonegotiate. Autonegotiate is the default and it will not negotiate a connection with my 100mb switch. 100 full is not an option.

I do have other ESX servers with different NIC cards that do offer more speed options, but not this model.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Maybe that model only supports that speed?

0 Kudos
MarkBK
Contributor
Contributor

Well that is the question.

I suspect that if I loaded Windows or Linux I would get a driver that let me pick any speed. I have not yet tried that--maybe tomorrow I will boot from a Bart disk or something.

0 Kudos
RenaudL
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I suspect that if I loaded Windows or Linux I would get a driver that let me pick any speed.

I doubt that, although it's still worth a try with Windows.

Your adapter is a fiber NIC (BCM5708 1000Base-SX, notice the "-SX") which doesn't support anything else than 1000BaseT or 2500BaseX. I actually directly looked into ESX 3.5 driver's code, this is hardcoded and can't be circumvented.

MarkBK
Contributor
Contributor

The HP c-class specifications say this:

Once the adapter signal reaches the interconnect within the blade enclosure and communicates outside the blade enclosure to the LAN, the blade interconnect uplink types and settings determine the cable media, speed, duplex mode, and auto negotiation mode. Interconnects are available with Ethernet uplinks supporting 10/100/1000T, 10/100/1000 SFP, 1000 SX fiber, and 10Gb KX-4.

We have the cat 5 interconnect which should allow 100 full. On my BL 680 ESX servers I CAN select 100 Full. Only these new NICs are acting this way.

0 Kudos
pimy
Contributor
Contributor

I believe this is a driver issue. Please see this thread.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1049255

Thanks,

pimy

0 Kudos
SelvaMK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mark,

Renauld is correct. For example, try giving the command, ethtool vmnic1 from your server. You might end up seeing something like this:

Settings for vmnic0:

Supported ports:

Supported link modes: 1000baseT/Full -

> this is your nic's supportability

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes: 1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: FIBRE

PHYAD: 2

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: g

Wake-on: g

You nic does not allow altering its speed.

Selva

0 Kudos