VMware Cloud Community
Daniel_K
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot see any LUN from EVA4000 in New ESX 3.5 (free version)

Hi There,

I have just setup the free ESX 3.5. But I could not see any LUN populated from EVA4000.

I am running it on a ProLiant BL20p G3 with all latest firmware. I have another one running ESX 3.0, works fine.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Do you see your hba cards in the config screen? Did you do a rescan for all hba's ?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
Daniel_K
Contributor
Contributor

yes. I can see the 2x hba and try many time rescanning. no luck

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

and you're sure you've also setup the correct permissions in the EVA box?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I assume you have your ESX servers zoned on your fabric switch and the vdisks are presented to the ESX server?

0 Kudos
Daniel_K
Contributor
Contributor

sorry. I do not understand what u mean by correct permission? I can see the 2x hba and also present the vdisk at EVA to the IP and hardware address from the hda I see in ESX.

I quite new to EVA. My 1st ESX 3.0 was setup by vendor.

The 2 blade (old ESX and the current new ESX 3.5) are on the same enclosure.

Please advise. Thanks

0 Kudos
Daniel_K
Contributor
Contributor

sorry. I do not understand what u mean by zoned on your fabric switch? I presented the vdisk at EVA to the IP and hardware address from the hda I see in ESX. Is'nt correct?

I quite new to EVA. My 1st ESX 3.0 was setup by vendor.

The 2 blade (old ESX and the current new ESX 3.5) are on the same enclosure.

Please advise. Thanks

0 Kudos
wpatton
Expert
Expert

Daniel,

With a Fiber Channel SAN, it is most likely that your Fiber Switch/es have "Zoning." Zoning defines what Frontend (i.e. ESX Servers) can see what Backend (i.e. EVA Storage Chassis).

Do you know what Vendor, and Model your Fiber Switch is? Most Switches have a dedicated or Web based Management Utility.

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

*Disclaimer: VMware Employee* If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

On an EVA you need to give a host access to a LUN, don't know the name of the TAB.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The tab name is "presentation"

depping
Leadership
Leadership

that's the one indeed.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
Daniel_K
Contributor
Contributor

I presented the Vdisk to the ESX 3.5 already using static IP. similar to what I did in ESX 3.0 but still nothing

I just tried presenting another Vdisk to my old ESX 3.0 and did a rescan it works.

On my ESX 3.5 the "Targets" in vmhba1 and vmhba2 is 0.

??? y

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Lets make sure we are all on the same page - are your HBAs fiber or iSCSI?

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
Daniel_K
Contributor
Contributor

Finally found my problem. I change the slot of my blade and it works. I did not notice because at the back panel all fiber light are ok. and I dont know the way to check if the SAN is it talking to my blade.

Might be something wrong with my fiber behind.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos