VMware Cloud Community
tascheHyaene
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot delete VM PortGroup

Good afternoon,

I just recently went through an upgrade from ESX 3.5u2 to u4 on a VI3 setup that I was not resposible for designing or deploying. It's been one mess after the other.

I was checking the network settings and saw that a VM Port Group labelled "VMkernel 2" on the two nodes was labelled just that, as a VM Port Group, instead of a VMkernel Port. I checked the properties, there's no IP associated with it and it appears to be a normal VM Network Port Group.

I tried deleting it from the VIC and was informed:

"Failed to remove portgroup: , Error: Unable to delete portgroup , for the following reasons: VM Kernel NIC"

From the console, I tried removing it and received the same error. I then tried removing the vswitch completely and was informed that I couldn't because said VM Port Group was still in use. What's more, is that when I do an esxcfg-vmknic -l, I get a report of said VM Port Group, with an IP and everything. When I try removing it from there with an esxcfg-vmknic -d, I receive a:

Error performing operation: There is no VMkernel TCP/IP interface on the portgroup

And I'm thinking... make up your mind, dude! Is it a VMKernel Port Group or not? And why can't I delete you?

I'm puzzled. Might this have something to do with the iSCSI initiator that's accessing some iSCSI LUNs?

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

see this KB article, it may be useful

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003933

0 Kudos
tascheHyaene
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I'll give that a spin and see what happens.

0 Kudos
tascheHyaene
Contributor
Contributor

Worked like a charm, Troy, thanks a million.

0 Kudos