VMware Cloud Community
ChetWalters
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot copy files to ESX host. Tried Veeam, WinSCP, SCP command line, and the VM Infrastructure Client

I have a new customer using VMware ESX Server, 3.5.0, 64607.

Everything works fine except I can't transfer files to the system. In this case I'm just trying to transfer some ISO files to a datastore to build a new OS. I usually just use the "Browse Data Store" option in the Infrastructure Client. The client says I/O error just a few seconds after initiating the transfer.

I then tried using WinSCP (in both ssh and scp modes) ; Transfer speeds are in the 40 and 50 BYTES per second range. 30 days to transfer an ISO seems too long Smiley Happy

I then tried using Veeam FastSCP: It installed and connects to the server but is unable to browse the directory tree. It locks up the software.

I have tried everything I know to try. We are trying to hunt down the customers account information to submit a ticket to support but have been unsuccesful. Any thoughts out there?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
fabricesforzani
Contributor
Contributor

Yes when you install choose upgrade and select kipp vm

2009/3/27, ChetWalters <communities-emailer@vmware.com>:

A new message was posted in the thread "Cannot copy files to ESX host. Tried

Veeam, WinSCP, SCP command line, and the VM Infrastructure Client":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1210747#1210747

Author : ChetWalters

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/ChetWalters

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Yes, select to skip VMFS... However, if the VMFS is corrupt you could have an issue. Before you reinstall can you 'SCP' using putty to someplace like /tmp? Somewhere else on the system instead of a datastore?

I would get putty and use pscp to scp into the home directory of a non-root user.... Does that work. If so then I think the VMFS is more an issue.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009
====
Author of the book 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2008 Pearson Education.
Blue Gears and SearchVMware Pro Blogs -- Top Virtualization Security Links -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I had this recently, what I did is use VI Client direct to an ESX host instead of to vCenter, the files then all uploaded OK, odd ---try it can't hurt. remember to refresh in vCenter afterwards.

0 Kudos
ChetWalters
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to end up putting in a big box with vmware esx on it in trial mode and hope to god that I can vmotion the machines to it and then perform surgery on the box we're having issues with. everyone cross your fingers for me. If I can't get the machines to vmotion off of the "bad" server I'm going to be at a complete loss.

0 Kudos
americhanac
Contributor
Contributor

HI,

sounds like a problem with FW or physical card to me.

This solution should not be used in production on a daily basis but you can do the following too:

Share the folder with your ISO on client, modify fstab to mount it on previously created folder, open all FW ports (during off-business hours) on host (allowIncoming and allowOutgoing switch), mount the shared folder with mount -a, create a new folder on /vmfs/volumes/yourstorename/newfolder and initiate the transfer to that folder on your host using simple cp command. Observe on VI client what is the speed on Network for the host.

I hope this helps in your troubleshooting. Atleast you will get some measurments by bypassing vmsoftware alltogether so you can pinpoint the problem more easily.

If it creates the same speed output, my bet is on physical network card.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
ChetWalters
Contributor
Contributor

I'm unable to get the server to join up and be added to Virtual Center.... probably because it has to install an agent and it can't get it on there.

Is there any other way to forklift the VM data off of that machine so I can get it running on another host?

0 Kudos
ezed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did/can you check the network ports for collisions? this is commonly a duplex mis-match.

0 Kudos
ChetWalters
Contributor
Contributor

everything is locked at 1000 full on a gigabit cisco switch.

I should not that this problem is ONLY with the HOST machine. Guest network performance is perfect.

0 Kudos
ezed
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure, on the outside chance that the Cisco is set to full/1000 and the nic in the host is set to auto/auto, it will negotiate to half/1000, you should see fec errors on the Cisco side if this is a problem.

ed

0 Kudos
ChetWalters
Contributor
Contributor

I just got off of the phone with vmware support and the issue is resolved. The managment interface was in a hung state. We had to kill the hostd process and then ifdown/ifup the actual interface. All of this was done from a second temporary managment interace that was created just for the purpose of testing.

I'm glad that's over!

0 Kudos
americhanac
Contributor
Contributor

Huh!

So basically what you just said means that the Console is also only a VM inside ESX?

Definatelly interesting information that will most certainly help me in understanding the processes inside the physical hardware. At the same time it finally explains (to me atleast) why Linux is referenced as "Service Console" interaction with ESX system.

Great job and thaks for this follow-up!

0 Kudos
ChetWalters
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah. I guess vmware has another layer in there somewhere. :smileygrin:

Basically it was just the hostd process being hung up. Oh well.

0 Kudos