VMware Cloud Community
Instinct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot connect to domain when I want to login

My virtual machine can not connect to the domain when I want to login and I forgot the Administrator password.

Windows password recovery cd does not work when I want to boot.

I can ping the virtual machine from my machine.

Is there any way to get into the machine without the admin password.

How can I see if the dns on esx is working fine.

please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

here you asked two questions:

1 .how to recover lost admin password: the best possible way is to use windows recovery or just map the cd drive of Vm to iso image of your OS. And make the Vm to boot from CD and during installation steps use the option of repair OS.

Altough i think so the time u spent here will be approx same if you use new fresh Vm build.

2. how to check dns is working fine at esx: what exatcly you mean from this..? just try to to ping the esx , try to login to esx via web console..and even though u can check the network settings under etc folder of esx to check dns.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

here you asked two questions:

1 .how to recover lost admin password: the best possible way is to use windows recovery or just map the cd drive of Vm to iso image of your OS. And make the Vm to boot from CD and during installation steps use the option of repair OS.

Altough i think so the time u spent here will be approx same if you use new fresh Vm build.

2. how to check dns is working fine at esx: what exatcly you mean from this..? just try to to ping the esx , try to login to esx via web console..and even though u can check the network settings under etc folder of esx to check dns.

0 Kudos
Instinct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My biggest problem I lost to disks on my esx server and did not have any backups. I managed to get my CEO's vm up but I can not log into the domain and we don't have the local admin password. I can not lose the data on this vm i need to get in and I have tried everything.

What will happen if I use the repair OS option?

2. I can ping the esx and the vm but when I want to login to the vm with domain account it gives me an error saying the domain is not available.

I ran out of options now.

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Are you able to login...to VM locally?

Are you able to ping VM using FQDN....as long as you can ping....DNS settings on ESX doesn't come into picture....

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V).

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
Instinct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No I don't have tha local Administrator password. Tried password recovery that does not work.

Ping My esx server

Pinging 192.168.1.5 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.8: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Ping My VM

Pinging vm1.domain.local http://192.168.1.23 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.23: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.1.23: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.1.23: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.23: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

C:\Documents and Settings\>ping vm1.domain.local

Pinging vm1.domain.local http://192.168.1.235 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.235: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

Reply from 192.168.1.235: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

I don't know what can I do anymore.

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Answer to your points :

1. managed to get my CEO's vm up but I can not log into the domain and we don't have the local admin password. : if only data is imp for you then the best way is to shutdown the Vm and check its datastore and note down the location of its disks, particlualr machinename.vmdk .

Build a new vm and choose the option of use existing disk and browse to the location of vmdk files.

as we dnt have admin password and you do not want to loose data..so above mentioned idea might be the best way to fix.

And if you go for repair disk , then i believe its going to install the missing files and which might require formatting the disk as well.so better to do this on test machine first.

2. can ping the esx and the vm but when I want to login to the vm with domain account it gives me an error saying the domain is not available. :

i dnt thnk so there is issue with DNS thats causing you that above error mentioned: you can check the below mentioned things:

a. check your VM network setings and make sure Network adapter is connected and check box is clicked over "connected"

b. check your network label and make sure that its not "internal only VM"

0 Kudos
Instinct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the error

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your system administrator for assistance.

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

just check over network settings of your Vm and make sure Netwrok adapter is connected.

And if Vm is not connected to domain during its build process , then Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

eager to know : what makes your issue solved.

"Do not forget to reward points"

0 Kudos
Instinct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

Sorry i took so long to respond I eventually found a password tool that worked.

you boot with the cd and it starts in linux and you are able to make the admin password blank or any user password.

Very nice tool and helped me to not lose the vm.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thats Great..

Will you please share that tool to us , as this is very general problem taht admin faces off , but find no luck to fix it most of the cases..

Just share the link to download that tool.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Instinct
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did not download the tool send me a email add and I will send it to you.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
vDeepak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

message sent to you via private message

0 Kudos