VMware Cloud Community
rhoworth101
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot configure Autostart on ESX 3.5.0, 82663

I recently installed a new server using ESX-3.5.0_Update_1-82663.iso and upgraded VirtualCenter 2.5.0 84767.

Unfortuately I cannot configure the "Virtual machine startup/shutdown" option in VirtualCenter (to autostart and autostop VMs when the host goes up or down). I make changes using the VirtualCenter dialog box, press OK, and immediately get an error alert pop up reporting "Failed to communicate with remote host, either due to network errors or because the host in not responding." The changes stay in VirtualCenter for some time, but dissapear soon after, so the "Virtual machine startup and shutdown" dialog box reverts to its original state. The changes are never copied to the ESX server. Other communications with the ESX host seem normal - e.g. VirtualCenter is connected, and I can ssh to the ESX host.

Could anyone suggesst a workaround - could I edit /etc/vmware/hostd/vmAutoStart.xml on the ESX server, and if so, how to I activate the changes?

Could anyone suggest a fix?

Grateful for any advice.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
cheeko
Expert
Expert

You may want to connect directly to the ESX host with VI client and try it like this - does this work?

rhoworth101
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - that worked. Good workaround!

So the problem is with VC communicating with the ESX host - any ideas which log to look in?

0 Kudos
cheeko
Expert
Expert

Honestly, I wouldnt was my time on troubleshooting this. This for VMware support to sort out. Open an SR, give them your logs and focus on more important stuff ...

0 Kudos
rhoworth101
Contributor
Contributor

Good point, many thanks.

0 Kudos
rhoworth101
Contributor
Contributor

for the record, it turned out the problem was caused by a mismatch of the server name - the esx host was configured with one name, and virtualcenter was accessing it via a different name that resolved to the correct IP address. When both esx and vc used the same name to refer to the esx host the problem was resolved.

0 Kudos
zeevik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

Can you please ellaborate on this name mismatch issue ?

I have the same problem. I managed to set the autostarts using the VI client directly connected to the ESX HOST.

And yet, I want to solve this issue.

the esx hostname is QA-ESX-02.qa.lab, and in the VC it is configured as 10.55.1.12

(second esx host is qa-esx-01.qa.lab and in the VC configured as 10.55.1.11 - working as expected)

TIA,

Zeevik.

0 Kudos