VMware Cloud Community
rmuniz9336
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot access Server through either Web Interface or VMware Infrastructure Client

Hello everyone,

Trying to get something re figured out that I figured out a long time ago. What's going on is I'm doing a test drive of ESX 3.0.2. The twist here is that I'm look I've got it loaded up as a VM inside Workstation 6. Loaded up just fine, Runs fines, and everything. The problem comes in when I try to access it through a web server or through the VMware Infrastructure Client. If I go in and try accessing it through VMC, it comes back with a connection failed. If I try to access it through a browser, it get a log on screen, put my info in, and it comes back within a matter of seconds saying the Web Service is Unavailable.

I can ping to and from the machine, and can also SSH into it as well.

I've restarted mgmt-vmware a number of times, turned the firewall off, restarted almost every service to include hostd, and still get the same message.

If memory serves, it was one of those things that was so incredibly simple that a person would think they remembered it. Of course I don't, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ahhh...The .vmx file should not change the ethernet0.virtualDev back to "vlance" (this is very common)

Okay, what you'll do is simply power-down the VM, and remove it from the "Open VM" window, and close-down Workstation.

Then, browse to the VM, open the .vmx file, change to e1000, then "Save", close the .vmx, and re-open the .vmx file KEEP THE VMX FILE OPEN

Then, re-open VMware Workstation, open the VM, and power it on while the .vmx file is open. The nics should remain e1000.

You can confirm by, through the service console of the ESX VM, run the command "esxcfg-nics -l"

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you specify the network adapters to use the "e1000" driver?

To do so, simply add the following line to the .vmx file:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

Also, if you are running Workstation on a Linux machine, you may try starting VMware workstation as "root", either by logging-in as root or $sudo /usr/bin/vmware

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

############### Under no circumstances are you to award me any points. Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
rmuniz9336
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick answer. When I edit the VMX file, I put in that line. However, upon installation, it changed it to "vLance" (is it supposed to do that). Sorry, but I'm running this on a Wndows XP Box, double checked to make sure firewall and etc was shutoff.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX as a VM in WS only works (reliable) with e1000 vNICs.

0 Kudos
virtualdud3
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ahhh...The .vmx file should not change the ethernet0.virtualDev back to "vlance" (this is very common)

Okay, what you'll do is simply power-down the VM, and remove it from the "Open VM" window, and close-down Workstation.

Then, browse to the VM, open the .vmx file, change to e1000, then "Save", close the .vmx, and re-open the .vmx file KEEP THE VMX FILE OPEN

Then, re-open VMware Workstation, open the VM, and power it on while the .vmx file is open. The nics should remain e1000.

You can confirm by, through the service console of the ESX VM, run the command "esxcfg-nics -l"

###############

0 Kudos
rmuniz9336
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And you, Sir, are definitly a steely eyed missle man. This thing has been driving me up a wall. Works like a charm now!

0 Kudos