VMware Cloud Community
adamjbarber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot Change The License server on VC2.5 server

Hi All

I have Looked around these forums but cannot find a solution for my prob.

Our License server was wiped by one of our team a while back, but was replaced by another and all licenses we're reissued to the relevant esx servers.

we have recently added two new esx servers which have there license's added ok.

But when i try to add them to the VC i get told that there are not enough licence's available. I look on the license server and there are plenty.

some further investigating has shown that the VC is still pointing at the old license server (it doesn't exist) and not the new licenserver ..

i have tried changing this 27000@newserver.companyname.net but get message saying there are no license's on this server

I have telneted to the license server and can connect and all esx servers are picking up there license's from there.

How can I get the VC to pick up licens's from the new server??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Restart your virtual center service. If there is a license server on the vc server, the old one, make sure all of those services are stopped. Did you connect your ESX hosts directly, or go in through vCenter to configure licensing there?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Is it only the VC that is not able to connect to the License server? Have you installed the license service locally on the VC Server ?

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
adamjbarber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the prompt response.

it is only the VC. and the licence isn't installed locally.

BTW I have tinkered a little since and got it to connect to the new-server but looking on the licence server the license status is:

"Users of PROD_VC: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use) "

all other servers are getting there license's from here.

0 Kudos
LarsLiljeroth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi

As i see it your VC has taken the mgmt server license. But the license server does not have a license file loaded with the ESX server licenses.

Can you verify that the license files with the ESX licenses is the one loaded ?

Best regards

Lars Liljeroth

-

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

// Lars Liljeroth -------------- *If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
adamjbarber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Lars..

The console does show that it has a management license in use..

But if I go to the license server, it isn't getting from there..

All license's have been combined/merged on that license server. license status below:

-

Status

-

Flexible License Manager status on Tue 5/12/2009 13:00

http://Detecting lmgrd processes...

License server status: 27000@bricps01

License file(s) on bricps01: C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware License Server\Licenses\VMware.lic:

licensesrv01: license server UP (MASTER) v10.8

Vendor daemon status (on bricps01):

VMWARELM: UP v10.8

Feature usage info:

Users of ESX_FULL_BACKUP: (Total of 22 licenses issued; Total of 2 licenses in use)

"ESX_FULL_BACKUP" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

floating license

root brivirt03.company.net /dev/tty (v2005.05) (bricps01/27000 201), start Tue 5/12 12:41, 2 licenses

Users of PROD_VC: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of PROD_ESX_FULL: (Total of 22 licenses issued; Total of 8 licenses in use)

"PROD_ESX_FULL" v2005.05, vendor: VMWARELM

floating license

root LONVIRT01.company.net /dev/tty (v2005.05) (bricps01/27000 501), start Tue 5/12 12:45, 2 licenses

root BRIVIRT02.company.net /dev/tty (v2005.05) (bricps01/27000 401), start Tue 5/12 12:45, 2 licenses

root brivirt01.company.net /dev/tty (v2005.05) (bricps01/27000 301), start Tue 5/12 12:43, 2 licenses

root brivirt03.company.net /dev/tty (v2005.05) (bricps01/27000 101), start Tue 5/12 12:41, 2 licenses

Users of VC_ESXHOST: (Total of 22 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of VC_DAS: (Total of 22 licenses issued; Total of 0 licenses in use)

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Restart your virtual center service. If there is a license server on the vc server, the old one, make sure all of those services are stopped. Did you connect your ESX hosts directly, or go in through vCenter to configure licensing there?

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
adamjbarber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much to you both...

I had re-started the VC service several time but it hadn't clicked to stop the license service on the same machine.. Do'h

Thanks ver much for your prompt response's

0 Kudos
adamjbarber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Full Fix for this was =

remove

the "oldserver name" from license path key in "HKLM - VMware,Inc - VMWare VirtualCenter - LicensePath"

then restart the VC services this put it back into eval mode

I then was able to add the correct license server name.

then stop License server service running on the VC. and restart the VC services

0 Kudos